1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is a writing sequence? Urgent interview advice needed

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pottyparrot, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I got invited to an interview and all they said was I will be observed with yr 5 and need to plan a writing sequence. Half an hour long. Only problem is I have no idea what they mean by this- is it just a lesson where they write?

It's on Monday so I can't even clarify!

2. Sorry I wrote the wording wrong they said I have to plan to teach a writing sequence.

Also if anyone has any ideas that would be fantastic too!

:)

3. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

Are you actually teaching 'the writing sequence' in a half hour lesson?
    Or are you planning to teach a writing sequence (so longer, weekly plan maybe?) and then teaching part of it in half an hour?
    In 1 lesson could be look at a text, find a few good bits, you model how to write similar, then they have a go.
    Longer (so over week or week), would be investigate texts in more detail, magpie/find all good features, list and display for all to see, improve texts with those bits missing, create checklist to help you write, have a go at planning some writing using planning format (sue palmer planning shape thingies) write dif bits in detail, opener...conclusion........dilemma.......intro... then evaluate those first tries, then use everything you know and write an entire piece based on everything you've found out surely?
    Thats what I consider to be writign sequence anyway......
    So choose a topic..... decide which bit your going to teach them to write.

4. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

oooh it just lost that reply above.....looks like it found it now...........

5. It was just the wording that threw me a little.

The exact wording is "prepare to be observed teaching a writing sequence" thats all i got.
    If that just means teach an element of writing (e.g. character descriptions) I have plenty of ideas, I just wasn't 100% clear that is what they want me to do.
    Thanks for your detailed reply :)