1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is a UPS teacher?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Kate80, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Kate80

Kate80 New commenter

I'm in my 7th year of teaching science at a secondary school. This is my 4th year in my current school.
    I am paid on M5. I am on M5 because I effectively lost an academic year to maternity leave so stayed on the same band. However I really would like to have moved up to M6 this year. My school uses the bands.

I am not moving up to M6. This isn't a surprise to me as for the last few years almost no teacher has progressed up through the bands. This is because my school gives us all an unachievable data target. The unions have been involved but most staff just leave or put up with it.

Now, it's not so much the money that matters to me although it'd be nice. It's the recognition of the responsibilities I hold and gives me the chance to begin working towards UPS. I feel I am doing the role of a 'senior' teacher. My colleagues and boss recognise me as a senior member of the team. For example, last year the whole chemistry dept (excluding me - no it wasn't me!) of 3 teachers and 1 technician left. I was concerned then that I would end up being the chemist in charge without any official recognition and that has indeed come to pass. I try and avoid taking ownership of tasks which I feel are over and above my M5 role but inevitably stuff needs doing so I do it. I am a pain to my boss. She is sick hearing me say that I feel I should be on M6 and feels that the jobs I do are standard teacher jobs.
    So, am I being unreasonable in wanting to move up to M6 for recognition that I lead the chemistry dept (inc chem A level)? I actually don't know. On top of sorting out most of the chemistry stuff I'm pgce mentoring for the first time. Obviously with no training!
    I've never had my performance doubted and it just feels like a kick to be doing so much but being held back indefinitely.

It's also relevant that I am p/t (hahaha!) at 0.7FTE which in real terms means I'm doing over 40h a week. School are getting a good deal right? Or do I need to just leave it?
    Really interested in others' thoughts. Thanks.

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Not sure you should have been denied a rise to M6 'because you were on maternity' - isn't that discrimination?

UPS is not for taking on responsibility that's what TLRs are for but no doubt your HT is trying to save a bit of money and/or trying to get you to jump higher and higher to get a pay rise (which you probably won't get).

3. Kate80

Kate80 New commenter

They've been using the fact that a UPS teacher should be demonstrating leadership to push people into holding responsibility. So eg the lady in charge of chemistry last year was on UPS 3. She left to do a head of chemistry job.

Yes the HT is trying to save money. Some staff have appealed their pay decisions and many have won. I'm a bit embarrassed about approaching the union rep. I'm nothing special but I do think I should be on M6.

I moved up to M5 the year I went on maternity leave. In the next pm cycle I stayed on M5 as I'd achieved nothing. I'd been at home all year! That seemed fair enough but this doesn't.

4. Kate80

Kate80 New commenter

I've just found on the ATL website that I could apply to go through threshold without having to have been on M6 first. That makes me feel a lot better.
    So, technically, I can begin to gather evidence and could apply next year. That probably would be worth a chat with the union rep.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Read STPCD and the school's pay policy to find out what to do. Essentially, the school has to be convinced:

"a) that the teacher is highly competent in all elements of the relevant standards; and
    b) that the teacher’s achievements and contribution to an educational setting or settings are substantial and sustained."

It is b) which gives schools an excuse to demand leadership of some kind.

I assume that your school is using the old pay points.