1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is a tier 1 school?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by snitzelvonkrumm, Jun 25, 2018.

1. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Very good! Many thanks dumbbells66

2. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Honestly, it took me a week, and I had been scouring lists of international school chains! It was very cryptic. The other one that took me weeks to figure out was the six letter school.

3. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

I am just starting out on my international career. I do not know about the suggested criteria but I am rating my new school as a tier one school on the sole factor that they were smart enough to employ my husband and me.

4. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Good luck @ruthwill500 - I left for a two year adventure 15 years ago!

…and even if it isn’t such a great place, you do your two years and move on with some hopefully useful experience for the CV.

I seem to remember you were the poster, who asked about a certain school in China and heeded the warnings, so you’re off to a good start.

5. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se New commenter

The Tier 1 schools in Shanghai are non-profit schools and pay more than 28krmb even on the lowest rung. They're both American however and for one you supposedly need to be a practicing Christian.

6. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se New commenter

As for Tier 1 schools...well, it's a subjective list of course as no such thing really exists.

However, Tier 1 schools would have to have a good package. Money talks and so no, you can't have a school without that part to it. The rest such as PD opportunities, reputation, history of excellence, international makeup of students/faculty, good exam scores and so on are usually there as well. These can go up and down over time, however, but the one constant is that it has to be the best payer, or at least right amongst the best payers, in that country and perhaps up there in the region as well.