1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is a Support for Learning Teacher?

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Ezzie, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I moved up from England about 8 months ago. I've got my GTCS registration all sorted. I'm looking for part time work but have noticed jobs called Teacher of Support for Learning. Can anyone tell me, please what this would entail? It seems job ads in Scotland all say exactly the same thing whichever school is advertising and it is a bit confusing! How does it compare to being a Class Teacher? Many thanks in advance xx

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

The role varies a bit from school to school but it's not usually whole class teaching. If you Google 'Scotland "support for learning" teacher', the Education Scotland links give a good idea of what's involved.

3. Ezzie

I'll do that - thanks for replying.

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Isn't it what Scotland has instead of a SENCo?

5. redz

redz New commenter

It's exactly what it says, it's a teacher who supports individuals, groups, classes with their learning. Can be with those that are struggling, or working with brighter children etc.

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

7. Ezzie

Thanks both; that's kind of what I imagined it to be. Need to go away now and think if it's for me.

8. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

Why would your first port of call not be Google? I find it worrying that a teacher thinks that asking on here is in any way more effective than looking at the wealth of information available online.

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Not really, no.

10. Ezzie

I am now an SfL teacher - I start in August but have been lucky enough to have been given a few days in school to get to know other staff and some of the children I will be working with next term. So, 2 questions, please:
    1. What does your SfL room look like in terms of displays etc?
    2. Is it usual in your school for the SfL teacher to be taken out of their job at little notice to cover for another absent teacher in the school? I've already been asked to do this twice!
    Many thanks xx

11. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

We don't have a SfL room in my school. Depends what cover is like as they need to do 'please takes' the same as anyone else. It shouldn't be a regular thing during contact time though but as you will appreciate June is an entity unto itself given the amount of school trips etc. If it continues in August I would definitely query it.

12. Ezzie

Thanks for your reply @Mazod. I appreciate I'm not seeing school in usual working mode so will see how it goes in August. Beginning to worry about it though as I feel I really don't know enough about SfL...