1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is a Sci HOD looking for on application form?

Discussion in 'Science' started by BirdBath, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hia
    Advice needed please from you more experienced teachers. I successfully completed my NQT year in July 2011 on a temporaray contract (secondary science). Although the school wanted me to stay on, and offered me part time, I had to leave because of personal commitments. I haven't been teaching this past term but am now in a position to start looking for a job. Two have come up this week that I'm really keen on. Yey!
    HOWEVER, as I'm still relatively new to all of this, I'd like to know whether I need to put exam class results, data, stats etc. on the application form. I taught every year (7-13) in NQT year. Would my old school be willing to give me this information? I did visit at the beginning of term and got a brief oral overview from my HoSubject on how the darlings in exam classes did, but have no concrete 'quotable' data.
    What would a HOD be expecting to see in terms of exam class results in an application form from me?
    Many thanks in advance for any advice/info
    BirdBath

2. Hia
    Advice needed please from you more experienced teachers. I successfully completed my NQT year in July 2011 on a temporaray contract (secondary science). Although the school wanted me to stay on, and offered me part time, I had to leave because of personal commitments. I haven't been teaching this past term but am now in a position to start looking for a job. Two have come up this week that I'm really keen on. Yey!
    HOWEVER, as I'm still relatively new to all of this, I'd like to know whether I need to put exam class results, data, stats etc. on the application form. I taught every year (7-13) in NQT year. Would my old school be willing to give me this information? I did visit at the beginning of term and got a brief oral overview from my HoSubject on how the darlings in exam classes did, but have no concrete 'quotable' data.
    What would a HOD be expecting to see in terms of exam class results in an application form from me?
    Many thanks in advance for any advice/info
    BirdBath

3. I'm retired (3y), so not up on current expectations, but I'd only want about 1 side of A4. There might be a list of classes/subjects/topics/levels (choose what fits best) but results are either too subjective or affected by other criteria, especially when you've only taught for a short while.
    I'd like to see that you researched my school/dept and expressed an interest in the ethos we espoused (with examples from your own experience, if possible). I'd expect you to address the specific aspects we had mentioned in our ad/paperwork. A comment on your ambitions and how you would develop these through your contributions to my school would be good. I wouldn't want the same info repeated from the application form, although you may expound upon some of the items eg why a piece of CPD was good and how you used it.
    I would expect everything to be presented to the highest standard - if you can't put the effort into a job application, you are unlikely to put it into day-to-day work. If it has to be hand-written (I'd fail that one [​IMG]), practise a few times with word-processing then CAREFULLY copy it - for me, accuracy is more important than neatness.
    You need to grab my attention, stand out from the crowd and make me want to ask you for more information, by calling you for interview.
    Others may totally disagree.

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

As you have taught I would want some information on previous results and what you have taught, though I would be mainly interested in your KS4 and 5 data. If you don't have the data then, when you ask for a reference, ask if they can send you the information.

5. Thank you both for taking the time to respond. You've been really helpful!