1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is a multimodal text?

Discussion in 'English' started by pmp4, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Please can someone tell me the actual definition of a multimodal text in reference to the Primary Framework? We have a difference of opinion at school. Thank you

2. Please can someone tell me the actual definition of a multimodal text in reference to the Primary Framework? We have a difference of opinion at school. Thank you

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

It is a web 2.0 term being used by someone who is trying too hard to be 'with it'. Normal texts are two dimensional - they have a height and width. Mult-modal texts have a third - you can click into: another page, an MP3, an MPEG, streaming media. Thus, the text trancends two dimensional texts and needs to be built and analysed differently. Is it text? Is it video? Is it media? Is it Literature? Is it a film? It is all of these things. Therefore, it is a new form of text made up of a hybrid of others.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Or, for simpletons like me, it's a way of conveying a message or story other than plain old text on paper. So it includes things like video clips you might use, or interactive websites, things like that...