1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is a maunfacturing spec

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by dttrainee, Mar 10, 2010.

1. dttrainee

dttrainee New commenter

When I was at the training session about the coursework projects for the new GCSE AQA graphics, they said that we need to present BOTH a design spec and a manufacturing spec as part of the students' coursework.
    I am a bit confused about what the difference is.
    Currently we do a design spec using ACCESS FMM (Aesthetics, Cost, Consumer, Environment, Safety, Size, Function, Materials, Manufacture).
    Can anyone explain to me what topics will need to be in a manufacturing spec or send me a good example? Is it more like a cutting list with specific materials, sizes etc? Or is it like a plan of making to say how the students will make the product?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. The way we teach it is as a specification is general ACCESS FMM about the product prior to designing. The manufacturing specification is after designing and to do with how the student intends to make the product they have designed in industry and at school. Do you not have an AQA textbook to help?

3. TIP

TIP

from a RM point of view (adapt as needed for GP)
    I consider the design spec exactly that a list of requirements the <u>design</u> must have
    when they have finalised their designs, their manufacturing spec should be much more build specific
    eg
    all edges will have a 5mm radius
    the product will be finished using polyurathane varnish
    all joints will be glued using PVA adhesive and screwed using 25mm #8 screws
    etc etc
    well thats my take on it anyways , hope that helps?

4. I teach AQA textiles and the manufacturing specification comes after designing and development (mine do it during thier making actually) it outlines all relevant information for producing the product in quantity so would include tools, equipment, materials list, sizes and dimensions and probably a scaled flat or 3D line drawing. The plan for making can also be included on this page. AQA provide a templare for textiles which is optional to use. they may have one for graphics.

5. CJL

CJL New commenter

It can be helpful to include colour shades from ppaint charts.
    tolerences in measurements should be given
    The manufacturing Spec for any DT GCSE should give the complete requirements for the final design and be as accurate as possible for materials/costs +++
    I get my students to copy their Design spec onto a fresh document, using the same headings to edit to give a precise accurate bullet point for each to narrow
    hope this helps :)

6. There is no need for a design spec at all! The requirement is for design criteria (a few pointers to get students going). This is very different from any form of specification which by definition is specific. As part of the development they are expected to produce either a product spec (how it should perform) or a manufacturing spec (how it will be made). This should be a great deal easier for students.

7. Where will I find the AQA Manufacturing Template?
    Just what I need!

8. dttrainee

dttrainee New commenter

Thanks for this - it's very helpful. It seems to be a big change in that on the old coursework, the design spec was a whole section on its own and all of the designing etc was based around whether it met the spec. Where now, it seems as if the design spec is deemed as largely irrelevant, as is the plan of making.

Some of the way I have been doing this by the older spec will definitely need to be changed to meet the new one. I will sit down in the holidays and try to get my head around it fully. Then, if I have time, I'll publish the stuff I have done on

www.helenhudspith.com

If anyone does have an example manufacturing spec you coul send me, please contact me through

www.helenhudspith.com/contact.html

and let me know.

9. Hi from what I understand a manufacturing specification would be looking at how the say British standards afect a product e.g tensile testing and safety features, also the standard of quality, say childrens bedding .
    Is it flame retardent if so what standards are expected, is the TOG rating apropriate to age etc, this is the sort of thing I would look at for manufacturing specifications and I would look also how the design brief allows for this eg a cot what load will you put on it e.g. Not suitable for children over 2 stone in weight or longer than 1.1 meters.

Get the kids to challenge themselves and find the info out, and if possible list actions or testing they may require to make there products safe for the general public. This could be a 1 period of explination with a breif to be written up by the kids for home work at a min 4 sides of A4 in there best work lol that's the min I get away with if co
    piling that sort of data.

Best if luck

10. I am with TIP in this one, a manufacturing spec is all about the products materials, manufacturing methods and finish.
    If your are making a wooden toy, what material, birch or laser cut birch, what machines it wil be cut on laser cutter / hegner scroll saw / by hand, what sort of finish will be used, type of paint / type of stain / type of varnish, what sort of glue. I would also mention any jigs and fixtures required for manufacturing even if they are standard ones already made and in use in the workshop ie 90 degree acrylic bend jig
    As we are aware, the initial design soon becomes restricted when coming to the realisation of what can actually be made and the compromises should be reflected on in the manufacturing spec.ie design for manufacture.

11. dttrainee

dttrainee New commenter

Thanks for the help and advice - although I am still quite confused as different people seem to be suggesting different things. Does anyone have a template for a manufacturing spec that they are already using that has been successful?

12. I'm sure you've already done this but I found this on a google search for food tech;
    http://www.s-cool.co.uk/gcse/food-technology/producing-a-new-product/specifications.html

This is for something called a gang-nail truss system(?)
    http://www.s-cool.co.uk/gcse/food-technology/producing-a-new-product/specifications.html

and here's one for some sort of track for a rail corporation

http://engineering.railcorp.nsw.gov.au/Disciplines/Civil/SPC_202_V1-1.pdf

It's amazing what's out there. Clearly proper manufacturing spec's would go way over the heads of our students but at least they can see the types of things that genuine spec's require.

13. Just keep in mind that these are 16 year old students undertaking a 45 hour task (as far as AQA specs are concerned) This is one criteria in a best fit assessment system where it will make minimal difference if the student misses it out completely. We are about designing and making and that should remain the main focus. Suggestions that this should cover pages is madness!

14. Customer
    I would include black and white technical drawing, front and back and any important details focuesd on and drawn larger.
    Listy of materials and components with swatches (if doing textiles)
    Legal requirements
    Tolerance
    Brief making instructions
    Layplan( or matrials plan using tesselation)
    Machinery to be used
    Joining mathods
    Finishing methods
    Colourways
    Costing
    Type of production
    Number of items to be produced.
    According to AQA we don't do planning of makng any more, but now a diary of making, which makes it much easier. I used to end up letting kids to flow chart after they had made it

I expect this to run onto 2 pages, and be hard for the less able (they will do simplified version with main points)
    I will do a chart for them to fill in, as this is how it would be done in industry. I do feel that some of this may be done retrospectively, but will aim to do it before hand
    Hope this helps. It is based on what I had to do when I was a designer