1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is a good salary in Qatar?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by deleted177, May 3, 2008.

1. The College and possibly Parkhouse give decent accommodation to families. I cannot comment on the others.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, of course working abroad can affect your pension. You can opt to continue to make contributions while you are abroad, but this will cost you a heck of a lot. If your employer does not pay the employer's contributions, then you will be stuck with paying the employee's AND the employer's! On the other hand, you won't have the wonderful joy of paying Council Tax if you are out of the U.K., so maybe it's a case of roundabouts and swings.

3. thanks for letting me know about the pension hippo.
    I am seriously thinkng about going to Dubai or Qatar to work. Husband has worked in Qatar before ( for 6 years) and was saying how much we can save...alot more than what we can here.
    But wanted to know whether or not there are cons for me in regards to my career if I work abroad.

If I want to return back to UK...how much notice do I need to give the school? etc.. Can I still be part of NUT while I am abroad...will they represent teachers abroad?
    so many things to find out.

thanks
    xx

4. In the ME if your sponsor decides to fire you, you will have to leave the country. I don't think a letter from the NUT would help! It is almost unheard of though, but that is the reality.

5. Hi Suhaz24

Normally you can give 3 months notice although some schools may hold some benefits back- always check your contract carefully. There are no teacher rights in international schools as there are no unions so make sure to work for a good school as there are bad schools every where! Finding work back in UK is not a problem although you may have to do some supply work for awhile before you can get a full time job. Good references also matter. Check out threads of different ME schools on this site. Good Luck. S

6. the hippo

Yes, you can save quite a bit in Qatar. Filling up your petrol tank is not an enjoyable experience in the U.K., but I have a big smile on my face whenever I pay for fuel here in Doha.

I would not bother being part of a union here in Qatar. Trade Unions are probably illegal in this country and any kind of union activism could have some nasty consequences for you. To be brutally honest, many people working in the more lowly paid jobs in Qatar find themselves in a situation that is a 21st century equivalent of slavery.

7. will i be able to have maternity leave while working in Qatar?

8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I think there's a legal provision for this. Check your contract for the school's specific offering.

9. Read the Qatar Labour Law for ideas of your rights. Just remember that on a fixed term contract employer and employee have to agree on resignation.

10. the hippo

Remember that inflation in Qatar is supposed to be 15% at the moment. A lot of that is due to the hike in rents, but just about everything else has gone up as well.

On the positive side, all schools are required by Qatari law to pay an end of contract gratuity. I think that this is supposed to be three weeks' pay for each year you have completed.

11. gulfgolf

Something like 90 percent of inflation is due to rental increases. If your employer gives you housing, you won't be effected. Avoid a housing allowance, go for the housing itself.
    Other prices have risen as well, but take out the housing question and it doesn't really matter.

12. Re Post 72:'If your employer gives you housing, you won't be effected.'

You won't be affected, surely?

13. gulfgolf

Sorry, never could keep those two straight.

14. the hippo

I have had several PMs from those asking about teaching in Qatar, so I thought that it was about time this thread was revived.

15. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

Hello all - possible coming to Qatar and would be grateful for an update re salaries and housing especially. What are salaries like now? What would be a reasonable amount for housing if no accommodation is offered?

I have been offered a post but waiting to hear about the package offered so any information would be useful for any negotiations !

16. the hippo

I am sending you a PM.

17. The salaries vary considerably, depending on the school. As a rough estimate 8000 QAR to 20000 QAR.

18. the hippo

I think that most people agree with their own posts, philiplangdon. However, there are some definite downsides to working in Qatar, not the least of which is the fact that temperatures are going to be 40 degrees plus from April through to October.