1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is a good salary in Qatar?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by deleted177, May 3, 2008.

1. No less than 12,000 riyals per month!

2. I agree with expathell...if you are an experienced (6 years +) teacher you should be looking for at least 12000 riyals a month...the better schools in the region pay up to 18000 riyals/dirhams a month for a classroom teacher. On top of this I would expect annual return flights, medical insurance, end of service gratuity, free accommodation and free school places for any children. Some schools will give you all of this - this is the top end of expectations.

3. Thank you very much!

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

This discussion has been had before, same players, I believe.
    12,000 is a good ballpark figure for Qatar.
    Do not expect to get 18,000. This figure has been mentioned before but never substantiated. SMT tend to start in the 15,000 range in Qatar, and no teacher I know of is anywhere near the 18,000 mark. Judycheeks, take a risk and name a school if you know somewhere that's paying this much. The thread may get deleted, but at least we'd have some information to try and verify.
    If you add in all the benefits, housing, flights, etc, maybe that's where some teacher may have come up with such a figure, but base pay, not that I've ever heard of.

5. there are schools which pay around 17,000QR per month. I know 2 people who get this . most schools pay between 12,000 and 15,000

6. gulfgolf

Which schools? Come on, give's a hint!

7. Yeah 11K base + extras here

8. gulfgolf...if you read my post again I said that some schools in the region pay 18k to a classroom teacher - I didn't say in Qatar specifically. However 'the college' in Doha does pay just shy of 17k - so if you don't know anyone who is anywhere near the 18k mark then you should start there. There are also at least three schools in UAE ('the region') that also pay in the 18k range...the rash school for boys, debyshire sister school and a british school in abu dhabi. True, there are plenty of schools paying a lot less, but these top end figures are not a mirage!

9. Fair enough gulgolf? I mean you did ask.

10. I have 4 years experience, I am heading to Qatar in August and have been offered 1350 + flights, accom, utility bills, medical ins etc

People have said you can make good money tutoring, is this true?

11. gulfgolf

It's true, but check with your school. Some have policies that you are not allowed to tutor or otherwise work outside of school hours.
    It's also illegal to work for anyone other than your sponsor. Not sure if it's legal if you have your sponsor's permission, but it definitely is against the law if you don't.
    The salary you're being offered is a good one and you should be able to lead a decent fun life, without extra work. Maybe you could spend the extra time enjoying yourself.

12. gulfgolf

Oh, and sorry Judyc for not replying. I've been travelling. Will try to check with my sources soon to see if I can verify.

13. Thanks for the advice gulf golf

14. deadly lampshade

deadly lampshade New commenter

Hey Gulfgolf, I don't understand you. On most threads you come across as sensible and helpful, yet when it comes to pay you sound like a pompous twit. Why do you need to "verify" or "substantiate" what judycheeks says? She(?) is completely accurate in what she posts. I am in the ME and last month my pay cleared 18,000. Next year it will be 19,000. That is PLUS accom, utilities, health and 3 flights a year. Why do you keep on saying that these packages don't exist? They do.

15. gulfgolf

Sorry if my twittering is annoying.
    I'm not so worried about pay packets in other countries, the thread was about a good salary in Qatar. I admit I missed the original bit where Judyc pointed out that other countries pay around 18,000, I thought at first the claim was for Doha, which is where I have doubts.
    I was able to check today with one teacher at the college, and he isn't on 17,000. He's younger, therefore less experienced, and no post of responsibility. He wouldn't say what he earned, who can blame him, but he was clear that he was not in that range. I gather he hasn't had a lot of conversations with more senior teachers about their packets, who can blame him, but he thought it possible that with seniority and extra responsibility, a teacher at the college could be hitting that figure.
    Can we agree that maybe we're both right? For a teacher just coming to Doha, without an extra post of responsibility, without significant years of experience, it's unlikely they'll get that much, and the 12,000+ range is typical and reasonable in the majority of schools. For teachers with plus plus, in a small number of Doha schools, looking at 15+ is possible as a starting salary. I just don't want to lead people to believe that they should be expecting 17ish when they walk in the door, as this is not the norm in Doha. If you can get it, great, but it's not likely unless you're in an unlikely position.

16. the college certainly pays around 17k to 18K in Doha and that is unpromnoted salary scale.

17. word of warning on the tutoring. legally you can not charge money for private tutoring at all if you are contracted to work in a school. this is law, not conjecture or supposition. some schools allow basic tutiion but this is technically against the law. if you do private tuition yuo risk losing yuor job and being deported,. again, that is fact, not supposition. tutoring does go on but most people are unaware of the law.

18. gulfgolf...People should be expecting 17K if they are classroom teachers with 6 years experience if applying to the college in Qatar...because that is what they pay! And this is topped by other schools in the region. Most schools pay less, some a lot less. None of this, as you put it - 'it's not likely unless you are in an unlikely position' ... it's the expectation if you are applying to these schools!!!

19. Maybe gulfgolf should have 'verified' and 'substantiated' before his original post, would have avoided back peddle. He sounds like a oily politician!

20. gulfgolf

Well, I'll stand corrected. There seem to be people more in the know than I am, at least when it comes to the college.
    Here's hoping my friend gets a pay rise soon, as it would seem he's being shortchanged.
    I'll stand by the statement that this range is not typical of schools in Doha. Apparently it is available, but that doesn't make it common.
    Sadly some schools go as low as 8K. None that I would want to work in, for reasons other than money.