1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is a good library lesson? KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cally1980, May 17, 2011.

1. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Do you need to make it a 'lesson' and plan it? We have a 30 minute library slot each week where the whole class go. I chose different children to scan the books in and out, others to tidy the shelves - eventually every child would have done both. The rest choose a new book and quietly read while waiting. We read a story or some poems together and then go back to class. Does it need to be planned further than this? Am I short changing my class? lol.

2. No we don't need to actually 'plan' anything. I was just thinking how I could make the best of the time really. Also if Ofsted come in when were at the library I was wondering what they would like to see...

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Hmmm, well you could maybe plan to read a different genre to your kids each week. I like to use poetry mainly because it fits into any time frame but also because we have a class book that we read daily but never poetry, so it gives them this exposure.
    I really dont know what Ofsted would expect to see from children in the library really! I think it is lovely to just have that lovely calming, peaceful time with the class. Maybe have a writing table where they can do book reviews/write a letter to their favourite author or something like that?

4. Get them to find authors who share their surnames, or whose surnames start with the same letters as their own.
    Put their writing into booklets, and add to the shelves so they can see what an author is
    Get them to make bookmarks advertising their favourite books, and share them around.
    Develop alphabet skills, by finding words in dictionaries in the smallest possible number of moves
    Find words in encyclopaedias, again practicing the alphabet. Get them to start skimming and scanning by looking for a) pictures, b) dates, c) people's names...
    Titles: develop reading by spotting keywords in titles in indexes, then how many times can you find the word in the book.
    Ask them how they arrange their libraries at home... size, date, alphabet, classification, new books on top. Show them how libraries use the same kinds of approaches.
    Animals is a good topic to switch between fiction and non-fiction, and has lots of room for creative writing. Start by choosing a fiction book about an animal: then find an image in a non fiction book, and perhaps make a size chart mixing children and animals's heights up, or weights,
    Ask questions about where the animals live,... and then go on to find the weather they endure, the food they eat etc.
    The main thing about non fiction work is that the questions are set up so that the pupils have to interpret the information they find, and can't just copy. e.g. when I'm doing a biography, I ask how long someone lived, and to make a map showing where they went during their lives.
    Hope this helps