1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is a good breakfast?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by gsm1380, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in this particular forum before. I seem to be having the same problem at breakfast time every work day and I am keen to get it sorted in September! The problem is that I just can't eat breakfast, and even If I am slightly hungry I just can't do it! I'm sure this is common. I usually have to eat at around 7:00 but on a good day can manage half a round of toast. Then by 9-9:30 I am starving and having to snack on cereal bars etc.

What would you recommend as a good way to getting into the swing of eating at7:00am. A friend of mine said it may be a good idea to start small, and then build it up. Is this a good idea? What could you have instead of just toast and cereal? I find toast especially boring and don't usually eat it at all really! Thanks for reading.

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Firstly you need to start now to get used to it. No point waiting until the first day of term when you'll be excited/anxious/nervous/terrified/elated.
    The best breakfast I've ever eaten is Tesco's tropical cereal. It's in an orange bag. It's really filling. A smallish bowlful will do the trick. Another filling option is Belvita breakfast biscuits which are very filling. I have breakfast at 7.45 and lunch at 1.40. I don't often eat in between.
    Try to have a couple of glasses of water too.

3. [​IMG]
    Good advice from Dozy. Good luck!

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Why do you need to eat at 7?

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am always happier having my breakfast late. In the week I have a small bowl of porridge. It doesn't take a large portion to keep me going until lunchtime. It is very quick and easy to do in the microwave.

6. Thanks for the suggestions :0

Just because I like to leave early and get in to school and get loads done first thing. So I generally have breakfast at 7, leave at 7:15 and get into school for 7:30. I do go home at 4 most days though so it kind of balances out.

7. Have you got a microwave in work? I weigh out my porridge and add milk and microwave for a couple of minutes. You can do it dead easily and it is good for you. I think it is better to do this than to take snack bars.

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I try to go to the gym twice a week before work (get it out of the way as I'm too tired after work). I leave the gym at aroun 7.50 and arrive at work just after 8 (we have a later start than most). I always eat my breakfast when I arrive at work. I take porridge in a sachet and have milk in the fridge, then I can just stick it in the microwave. It only takes a few minutes and I find I'm hungrier for it because I eat it a little bit later - I certainl couldn't face eating it at 6am when I get up and leave for the gym!
    I never used to eat breakfat for years and years. I probably only started eating it regularly about 3 or 4 years ago. But now I couldn't go with out it.

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Others have beaten me to it - but I eat when I've done faffing at work. I leave about 10 minutes earlier than I used to, then sit down with my colleagues and have breakfast at about 8:10 so we can get to our meetings at 8:25.
    I think when you eat is possibly more important than what you eat when you are trying to get in the habit of breakfast.

10. Why do you need to eat at 7?
    [​IMG]

11. I eat breakfast at 6.30 as I leave for work at 7. Like you, I found that I couldn't face cereal etc at that time. I've started making myself smoothies in the morning now, which are a lot easier to digest than cereal and for some reason seem to fill me up a lot more than cereal and I seem to have more energy! I just whizz up a banana, a handful of whichever berries are on offer, a spoonful of low fat natural yoghurt and a dash of skimmed milk. Delicious and very filling.

12. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I couldnt eat that early, I am a porridge fan as it keep me full all morning so would take it to work as suggested. Trouble is I would also have to take a toothbrush as I cant work knowing i am all porridgy.

13. naggin the nag

naggin the nag New commenter

Sorry, yummy as they sound, these are not 'healthy'.
    They're full of 1) sugar; 2) starch in the form of white flour, which is digested and absorbed rapidly as sugar; 3) oats, which are broken down slightly more slowly into sugar; and 4) fruit - more sugar!
    If all that sugar is not needed straight away it will be stored as fat. The only thing that will keep you feeling full longer is the protein.
    Message me if you would like details of a really healthy breakfast that will give you the right balance of nutrients and loads of energy.

14. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

Poached eggs on wholegrain toast. Low gi carbs, protein, good fats and fibre. Eating eggs will keep you fuller for longer also.

15. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

I have porridge every morning in the week, I make it on the hob and then leave it in a bowl to cool whilst I finish getting ready, sprinkle of sugar and some nuts/seeds on top and it keeps me full for ages.
    I also second the eggs on toast, I usually go for scrambled on wholemeal bread, the protein in them keeps me going longer but I try to just have it at the weekends when I have more time to enjoy it.

16. I'm the same, I can't face that much food early and certainly can't eat for an hour or so after waking. A large banana is a nice breakfast for me - grab a bunch on Monday on my way in, keep them in the team room and eat one when I've got to work.