1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What is a decent salary in Malaysia (excluding KL)?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by loujb, Feb 5, 2011.

1. I have been negotiating my salary for a school in KK, having asked some contacts out there what a good wage is. I also looked it up. I just wanted to check what other expats get paid in non-KL jobs (which obviously pay more)
    Thank you

2. I have been negotiating my salary for a school in KK, having asked some contacts out there what a good wage is. I also looked it up. I just wanted to check what other expats get paid in non-KL jobs (which obviously pay more)
    Thank you

3. private message me and i will let you know. depends on your actual responsibilities and how long you have been teaching for. i would assume kk and penang would be similar.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

The legal minimum for expats is RM5000 per month, approx. £1000.
    Schools will normally pay more than this. Minimum salary from 7500, from there it all depends on responsibilities and school. A small number number of schools pay much higher than the rest and so competition for those posts is high; there's been all sorts of moans about some of those schools here, but so far I'm I'm aware there's nothing too much wrong with them.
    Realistically, a good salary is 10,000; anything above this for a teacher is worth considering. This will give you a high standard of living as costs are very low here.
    The disadvantage of working in the higher paying schools is that rental prices are 5 times higher than elsewhere as they are located in expat areas. If you're willing to go beyong your accommodation allowance your salary will be eaten quickly in these expats areas.
    I pay about £300 per month for a great apartment well away from the expat crowd.

5. uncertain39

uncertain39 New commenter

A Salary of RM12,000, with a take home pay of RM9000 (including housing allowances) should be achievable with 10+ years of service. Expect to pay RM 1500-RM2000 for a very nice apartment with all the facilities. Eating out is very cheap in Malaysia, and travel is very affordable with low cost carriers such as Air Asia, so an excellent standard of living should be easily attainable.

6. thank you v much. Can I ask if that's KL tho? I know salaries are much higher there..

7. MisterMaker

Either you're paying too much tax or you're talking about the first months until residency for tax purposes is acheived. Tax falls to about 15% from 26%, depending on indiviudual circumstances.
    Yes, in the non expat areas.
    AA is not so low cost when you add taxes etc; they are more expensive than Malaysian AS for many flightsif you book well in advance. Nevertheless, general travel, inc petrol, is cheap.

8. MisterMaker

Looking at the fee structure of the school, if you are a standard teacher, I'd be surprised if they are offering a big salary. PM me with your details and I'll get back to you.
    BTW: it's KL, not KK.

9. KOTA KINABALU!!!!!!

10. uncertain39

Selamat Pagi Oujb!
    No - Penang - and I imagine cost of living would be vaguely similar to Penang. It is true that the tax does go down after you have been there about 4 months (tax is very complicated and you have to be in Malaysia on 31st December and 1st January during your 1st (and last) year in order to link tax years together for residency purposes), but if you plan on the worst case scenario then your budget can only get better. I was quoting take home pay - which is also after your EPF has been deducted. EPF is the pension scheme - you pay in 12% of your salary and your employer 13%, and when you leave you receive the full 25% back (plus interest) - which can amount to a sizeable sum, even after only 2 or 3 years. The price for accomodation that I quoted was in the Expat area of Penang, so I imagine KK would be broadly similar - East Malaysia is marginally more expensive, but probably less expats to push the price of accomodation up. PM me if you want any more details. Good luck!!

11. uncertain39

I was quoting Penang prices, and Oujb was asking about Kota Kinabalu (that's KK to the uninitiated, and not to be KL - Kuala Lumpur, or KT - Kuala Terangannu).
    I was quoting salary after stoppages - which also includes the compulsory contribution to the EPF.

12. uncertain39

Apologies, TES ate my words It should have read "not to be confused with!"

13. MisterMaker

There was a school with the same name in KL. The locality your talking about is in Sabah. I don't know anything about Sabah. KK isn't what you should be talking about, talk about Sabah and people will know where you mean. There's thousands of Kota this and that around Malaysia.

14. uncertain39

To quote "Kota Kinabalu is often known as KT. within Malaysia and internationally." Anybody with even a rudimentary grasp of Malaysian geography would know that KK is in Sabah.

15. uncertain39

***! I meant to say Kota Kinabalu is often known as KK. It is only the REALLY bad spellers who know Kota Kinabalu as KT!
    Sorry!

16. basically lou...the miserable salary they have offered you is virtually a local wage. they are taking the ****. pull the pin and tell them to stick it. you don't owe them anything. you will not have any quality in your life. if they are treating you like this now what are they going to be like when you get there.....sorry but best to be truthful.

17. MisterMaker

Yes the salary is low. However, it depends on the OPs circumstances. I don't know the school, and it has the potential to be dodgy. However, if the OP is a free agent and no burdens in the UK, it could still be an interesting opportunity. Malaysia is aspiring to gain developed status and local teachers earn half of what the OP has been offered whilst still enjoying a good living. There are schools offering much more, including my own, but with private tuition he could earn much more outside school.
    Nothing is as clear cut as you suggest Brummy.
    As to a previous nerd who thinks the whole world knows where KK is, you're barking up the wrong tree. The school name is the same as one located in KL, hence my presumption the OP was doing a typo. However, whilst I know of Sabah, KK is new to me. I'll be asking around the office this week to see who recognises the abbreviation KK.

18. well mister maker i actually do know "KK" very well and I have some friends who work at KIS there. I know for a fact the salary is terrible and it would be a struggle to live comfortably as expats generally do in malaysia. as for the name kk....uncertain39 isn't a nerd cos everyone knows its called kk. maybe you should get out more!

19. MisterMaker

Brummy, you seem to be such a happy go lucky chap.[​IMG]
    I've been here six months, not long enough to get to know the country well and so far I've resisted the lure of the expat crowd; too often full of borish types who think they know it all. The topic of KK simply hasn't come up during my time here; maybe in your circle it's all they talk about - let me know where you hang out so I can avoid such a borish group.
    Some folk don't go to work in a country simply for the cash. So who are you to decide what is or isn't best for the OP. Yes, as we have both done, warn him that the salary is low, but to dictate his decision as you seem to like to do is rather arrogant of you. There are all manner of circumstances which may impel the chap to join the school. If you know something secific about the school, by all means advise him. However, money alone doesn't dictate everyone's motives.
    Not sure what you're doing in such a pleasant country as Malaysia, you're clearly out of place. I recommend Nigeria for someone with you level of wit and inteligence.

20. Sandman

Sandman New commenter

Seriously MM you can't be a head teacher,its a wind up.