1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

What is a DCFS number?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by chrysanthe, Apr 2, 2009.

  1. Hi
    I am filling in an apllication form for a prep school and the form states 'DCFS number'. Does anyone know what this number is?
    Also, is it usual for schools to ask for a CV and to fill in an application form too? I am repeating most of the information from my CV (employment details, contact details, hobbies, etc) on the application form.
  2. I presume it is DFEE number. You should have recieved this when you completed your degree.
  3. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    DCFS number is also known as DFEE number, DFES number, DES number .
    . . because that stupid government department in charge of schools
    keeps changing its flipping name!
    Iìm not sure you get it when you get your degree, it may be when you get your PGCE, as it identifies you as a teacher.
    It begins with the last two numbers of the year that you qualified . . . mine begins: RP 721234, showing exactly how old I am!
    CVs . . . in the best-run and up-to-date schools they don,t ask for CVs
    as the government has advised not to. But old habits die hard . . .
    and especially in the independent sector, they often ask for them.
    Yes it will be repetitive!
    Have a quick look at the Independent Forum, especially do a search on extra curricular, to see what tips you can get there about tailoring your application to a Prep School.
    Best of luck!
  4. JeanL

    JeanL New commenter

    Hi Theo,
    I'm an OTT and am moving to the UK next week, so how do I go about getting a DCFS number? I'll start our supply teaching until I find a "real" job. I looked at the dept for children families and schools website, but it doesn't show how to register. Do I need to have a proper job to register or do I need to register before I get a job or is it a catch 22?
    Jean from Michigan
  5. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Dear Jean
    A tip for you and others: I don't normally go back and open up again threads that I've already replied to, so next time, start a new thread with Dear Theo in the title if you want an answer from me. Only by chance I opened this.
    You get a DCSF number when you are a qualified teacher in the UK, with QTS. Are you? If so, you should have a piece of paper , a QTS certificate, with it on - also called the reference number . Every teacher in the UK is allocated a Teacher Reference Number by the DCSF. Currently this is dealt with by Capita. You can get your Teacher Reference Number by contacting Capita, who co-ordinate Teachers' pension arrangements:
    Telephone: 01325 745746
    Fax: 01325 745789
    email: tpmail@capitagroup.co.uk
    If you don't have QTS, then this is the situation as it applies to you:
    <a name="qts1">[/URL]What is QTS and how do I get it?
    QTS stands for Qualified Teacher Status. This is awarded to a teacher who has completed an appropriate teaching qualification and is deemed to uphold the professional code of the General Teaching Council of England.
    You need QTS or equivalent to work as a teacher in maintained schools and non-maintained schools in England and Wales. It is possible to gain QTS whilst teaching in the UK provided that the host school agrees to sponsor the individual. For further details on obtaining QTS by this route contact the Training and Development Agency (TDA) for schools line on 0845 6000 991 when you are in the UK or visit www.teach.gov.uk

    If you qualified as a schoolteacher in another country you will need to gain Qualified Teacher Status BEFORE you can work as a PERMANENT, QUALIFIED TEACHER in England.

    However, if you are an Overseas Trained Teacher (OTT) you can work as a &lsquo;temporary teacher&rsquo; for up to FOUR YEARS without QTS. If you do not attain QTS in within 4 years of your first teaching day in the UK you legally will not be able to teach in England.

    Teachers in Independent Schools, City Technology Colleges and Further Education Institutions (including Sixth Form Colleges) are not legally obliged to have QTS.

    You need QTS to:

    Secure a permanent post
    Progress to higher pay bands or senior management posts in maintained schools.

    How to gain QTS

    The TTA runs OTT's Programme to give them the opportunity to gain QTS while they work in a school. On the OTT Programme the school pays the trainees' salary.

    OTT's with at least TWO YEARS teaching experience may be eligible for assessment against the Induction Standards and QTS Standards at the same time. THOSE WHO ARE SUCCESSFUL WILL BE EXEMPT FROM SERVING AN INDUCTION PERIOD. The TTA arrange for an assessor to come and visit you in your school.

    The TTA runs a free advisory visit scheme to help the teacher and school decide which option is best.
    Qualifying in different types of schools

    Schools needs to provide you with an opportunity to teach the National Curriculum to pupils of a compulsory school age, across one of the required age ranges for QTS. There are exceptions!!!

    Nursery Schools and other Early Years settings need also to arrange experience across the full 3 to 8 age range with a Primary School.

    Sixth Form and Further Education Colleges need also to arrange experience across the full 14 to 18 range with a Secondary School.

    Special Schools and Units need to consider whether you need an arrangement with a mainstream school in order to show that you can teach the National Curriculum to pupils whose chronological age matches the Key Stage.

    Hope this helps. Best wishes

Share This Page