1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What intervention works in your school?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by FenellaF, Apr 19, 2012.

1. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Hiya, I have just taken on the role of SENCO, and TBH, not a lot of intervention goes on and I am aiming to introduce some more but obviously, can't do everything! If you could recommend one intervention, what would it be?

Thanks

2. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Hiya, I have just taken on the role of SENCO, and TBH, not a lot of intervention goes on and I am aiming to introduce some more but obviously, can't do everything! If you could recommend one intervention, what would it be?

Thanks

3. I would recommend the use of a good, structured, systematic synthetic phonics programme, taught by well trained staff, for all children with reading and spelling difficulties. The SP teaching not to be mixed with any other strategies at all and no time wasted on learning to read and spell HFWs to the exclusion of all else[​IMG]
    Get your 'strugglers' reading well and your SEN register (or whatever you use) will melt away like magic and leave you free to concentrate resources on the children who really need them.
    (Unless, that is, you are in a 'Special' school... Which is a completely different kettle of fish)