1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What if the Deputy refuses to step up as Acting Head?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by gorgybaby, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Anybody know the answer to this...

In my previous school we had 3 deputy headteachers (quality assurance and standards, curriculum, pastoral) with the deputy headteacher i/c quality assurance and standards the designated senior deputy head, who was acting head whenever the head was out of school. in my present school we just have 2 deputies, both at exactly the same level. Who is acting head should the headteacher be away/on a course/ill etc?

Cheers

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

you only get the additional pay if you do the job long term ( ie a term or more) the day to day stuff covering in the heads absence while they attend courses , meetings etc doesn't count.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Whoever the head tells 'You're head whilst I'm out'.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

it would be interesting to see what happened .if a real emergancy arose, ..especailly if there were ramifications....
    oh well.its chrstmas...we poor mortals can get one with doing out school work lol...when im not time wasting on here!

5. Also, what if there is no Deputy? Who is reponsible then when the head is out?

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I was senior teacher in a school with no deputy. Deputisung was in my job description, for the princely sum of £18k a year ( it was in late 90s), in addition I was the senco, literacy co ordinator, ict co ordinator, child protection officer, teacher governor, ran 3 clubs and set up and oversaw the breakfast club. I did a term as acting head in that school too. I remember I was paid on the leadership spine for that term - think I got about £8k for that term, before deductions. Small schools are hard work for not much cash but boy do you gain a lot of experience!

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Mr cg is often left in charge at his large primary. Slt are in the habit of going off site to have whole day meetings. He is on ups and has been teaching a long time, no tlr though. It seems the head thinks he's the natural choice.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

And cheap at the price lol
    have a lovely one...

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Although the distinction between being appointed as Acting Head and acting up in the head's absence has been touched on in several replies I'm not sure if it has answered your question fully gorgybaby.
    The important point is whether or not there is someone in post as HT or not (ie is there a head in post but temporarily absent from school, or has the last HT left and the post is vacant?). If there is no head in post the Deputy does NOT have to act as headteacher. The GB must appoint someone as Acting Headteacher but the Deputy doesn't have to offer themself for appointment as Acting HT, and the GB doesn't have to appoint the Deputy as Acting HT even if the Deputy is willing to do it. (See statutory Staffing Guidance 2009 para 5.3 where this is expressly stated). An Acting HT, formally appointed to that role, must be paid on the same basis as a permanent HT (ie on the HT's scale for the school's ISR)
    If there is a permanent head in post but they are temporarily absent from school the Deputy must act as HT - it's in their professional responsibilities per para 58.4 of the STPCD (2010):

"If the head teacher is absent from the school a deputy head teacher must<font face="ArialMT"> undertake their professional duties to the extent required by the head
    teacher or the relevant body or, in the case of a foundation, voluntary
    aided or foundation special school, the governing body."
    </font>
    The requirement to act as HT isn't time limited but elsewhere in STPCD (paras 38.1 - 38.6) there is an obligation on the GB to review the Deputy's pay if they are acting up as HT for more then 4 weeks (although the governors are not obliged to increase the Depurty's pay at all).
    Which scenario did you have in mind gorgybaby?

10. louise9513

louise9513 New commenter

What about if you are Acting Deputy & get asked to step up as Acting Head? Do the same rules apply as if you were actual deputy?

11. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 Occasional commenter

I think so...