1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What if children planned a lesson?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Elohim, Mar 23, 2011.

1. What if children planned a lesson as part of their own learning? Surely it would cover many objectives whilst giving them a real life experience. What if they team taught for younger pupils? Please do critique the suggestion.

2. Fantastic idea, as long as they're aware of targets / next steps. It ticks so many boxes; independent learning, memorable experiences, personalised education, choice, purpose. You'd need to set some parameters in order to make it manageable and to support their planning. Let us know how it goes!

3. Thanks for the encouragement Kate. Yeah I envisioned that I would reveal to students the foundations of the cylical teaching process: objectives, planning, assesment and teaching evaluation.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well I'm sure they'd fail to get outstanding by not putting in learning objectives, success criteria, learning steps, differentiation, assessment as they go, active learning and a plenary.
    Still - I'm sure my little boy could give a good lecture to the Y6's about the Titanic or sharks at the moment. He then might get them to write a story about the Titanic, label a diagram, draw the route or even colour in a shark. Mind you - he's year 1.
    A year 6 child has had enough experience of school to understand the kind of activities they like doing so maybe it could be a radical idea.

5. Yeah it's for Year 6 Robyn. Thanks for your post.

6. I've worked with year 7s who planned their own lessons for teaching year 3 children french- and they covered all those things... in fact they did an amazing job! They looked at a good and a bad lesson done by a teacher, made a list of all the things in a good lesson, then planned their own. They then taught their own class to try things out and refine ideas, and then taught in pairs to groups of 4/5 children.

7. I did a simplified version of this once, towards the end of the summer term with Year 5. I told the children that anyone who wanted to could teach a mini lesson on a subject they thought it would be useful for the other children to know about. They had to come to me with their idea, how they were going to teach the children about it, and a short activity for the children to do to reinforce what they were teaching. I would then be their TA for their lesson.
    It was really interesting to see which children could actually take their original ideas and form them into mini lessons, and the class were totally engaged when one of their peers was teaching. This was a class with many children who were experiencing behaviour and self-esteem issues. I think it made them think about their peers and themselves in a slightly different way, and was hugely positive for the children who led lessons.
    There was no differentiation, success criteria, WALT, WILF, etc, or links to the NC, so I can see that some people would feel it was a waste of teaching time. However, I felt it encouraged the children to become more assertive and active learners. They also had more respect for the children who led lessons, and this gave them a positive way of earning respect from their peers too.

8. Nick Briscoe runs inset along these lines. It runs on the principle that everyone is an expert at something. Children choose the 'workshop' they will run and each child has the opportunity to run one. There is an obvious learning experience for the presenter and also the audience. Workshops can be any theme (children chose their strength).

9. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I did this with a group of very high ability year 5 kids in maths. They were solid level 5s and could explain things well. I wouldn't have done it otherwise. They planned and taught a short session to a high ability year 4 set about how to find a fraction of a number.

They did it fabulously. I loved it. They loved it. Some needed a bit of prompting but they did 99% of it themselves.

10. .....bullsh*t....?

11. A different era and paradigm, but my classes used to plan the themes or topics that we covered, roughly half term. The The description of the environment was, "our classroom", the our signifying ownership of the curriculum. We used to deliver what would later be termed foundation subjects through history, geography or science biased topics. The early stages of this involved the pupils surveying the reading material available and brainstorming. They planned their individual or group research into this work, as research was the lesson, in a sense this was a lesson plan.

For several years peer tutoring, especially for reading and spelling was a part of the day. Over a four week period, we had 3 x 15 minutes reading daily, the LA tutored by a rota of more able, whilst the middle and high ability also worked on speed reading, eg 400 wpm. Reading at the time was recorded in reading ages, based on comprehension reading tests, eg Schonnel B, not word recognition, and attainment by these measures went sky high.

That was pre NC, when teachers even could decide and plan the curriculum.