1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what if Boris Johnson lost his seat

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

and Jeremy Corbyn, Dianne Abbot and Jacob Reece-Mog

general flush out

that would be good. Trying to think of what possible outcome on Thursday would give me hope. That is the best I can come up with.

I haven't bothered to included that other one, Jo Sinnod? can't remember her name. It wouldn't matter either way; she is a total non-event anyway.

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Johnson and Corbyn would stand in by elections for safe seats, when the incumbents resigned in December.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I suppose so :(

LondonCanary likes this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

In that scenario, they will have shown they couldn't get re-elected in their previous seat, not the most successful message to give out. While they might get elected in the safe seat (what would happen to the MP pushed to resign?) their leadership credentials will be seriously dented.

TCSC47 likes this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The Wirral booted out Esther McVey who the constituency hated, but the Tories shoved her into Tatton when george resigned. I notice she has been very quiet since he attempt at leadership. (Maybe they should have elected her as leader).

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

There is a very good chance that Dominic Raab could lose his seat of Esher and Walton. I have a number of friends and acquaintances down there and they are quite disenchanted with him for his outspoken undemocratic comments on proroguing parliament and his hard no deal Brexit stance. It is the stock broker belt of Britain and they are very knowledgeable on the economic harm that Brexit will cause, and in fact voted 58% remain.

You're going down Dom!

7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I remember when Tory pin up boy, now train nurd and TV presenter / pundit, Michael Portillo lost his seat. We were at our own election count and there was a TV outside the counting room bringing the results in. Tremendous applause and cheering from absolutely everybody who wasn't a Tory! Great fun.

ilovesooty likes this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

His legs would fall off?

9. LondonCanary

Downside was they got Stephen Twigg.

10. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

What if Boris Johnson lost his seat?

He'd claim he'd been re-elected with an increased majority.

11. LondonCanary

He has made himself very unpopular locally and has no personal following. The previous MP has advised people not to vote for him. Monica is an attractive alternative.
    (It is not really the stockbroker belt of Britain. Are your friends stockbrokers?)

12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm sure that's what would happen but I wonder who would be PM (assuming a Conservative majority) in the interim?

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The YouGov MRP constituency poll (the one that got 93% of constituencies right in 2017) estimates for Esher and Walton:

49% Conservative
    38% Lib Dem
    11% Labour
    2% Other

Doesn't look all that close, although undoubtedly closer than 2017 (when Labour were on 19.7% and Lib Dems were on 17%). YouGov thinks "Likely Conservative" win.

14. LondonCanary

Raab was the default interim before the election by virtue of being First Secretary. If that post becomes vacant, I don't know who would step up.

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I assume he is happy.Has a nice little earner talking train journies and wearing his combination of yellow jacket and blue trousers.Also is acceptable for a number of other TV shows.
    Actually, seems quite sensible in that political show 'This Week', where he actually gave his view of an event or happening, unlike the companion person in the studio at the time of Diane Abbot who never answered one question straight,

16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I suspect that with hindsight Portillo would agree that losing his seat was the best thing that ever happened to him! I don't suppose it felt like it on the night though.

17. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Still sad we won't be seeing any more of Heidi Allen.
    [​IMG]

18. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

bojo, Jo Swinson, Raab and a few other well known faces are all facing the boot. A few labour MPs in leave constituencies are scared too.

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

One cannot allow anyone with an alternative view to spoil the image of togetherness. A good leader of a party, and of a committee knows how to deal well and not cause folks to leave

20. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter