1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What, if anything has replaced SSCo and PDM?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by bigfatgit, Mar 25, 2012.

1. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

That seems to sum up some of the CVs I've received recently for teaching jobs and I don't teach in a rough area (if you ignore the revolution of last year that is)

2. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

The majority of PDM's have become School games organisers and on the whole, their role hasn't really changed in our area/city wide aspect. Those teaching staff who were SSCo vary differently in terms of roles. Some schools have simply pocketed the money and no longer carry on with the role, other schools only release staff for an equivalent of one day. Some schools have maintained the two day role. The SGO role has focused on the school games and four levels of competition. I have to say in our partnership this seems to be working well!

3. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

Forgot to add that SGO roles are now being funded until 2015! Not sure about the one day release though and whether this is being extended. I

4. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

If you are really looking to get into one of these roles as an SGO it may be a little difficult as hubsites have generally appointed now. I would suggest offering services/supply to primary sector as PE supply to get foot in the door as alot of schools still use it as PPA cover (they do in our partnership however!). You would find it difficult to get PE supply in secondary due to cover supervisors being used universally to cut costs in cover budget. I think you would also need to contact YST to see what opportunities there are in terms of volunteering. There is alot of international links going on with schools these days and it might be worth contacting YST in starting an international link up with your school so you can get your foot in the door somewhere in the UK?? We have links with five international schools which have included visits to share good practice?

Just a thought

5. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Our SGO has taken to once every 6 weeks running little relay races where they perform a skill and then get some points. So instead of experiencing a tag rugby match they get the pleasure of running with a rugby ball to touch a fence and then run back again. So no intra matches, but lots of basic relays - no doubt these will get ticked in the intra-competition box.

6. Gogojohnny, this is something that really gets up my nose as well, the 'sports coach' with a naff all qualification coaching our kids. I went to collect my son from an after-school club run by one of these 'coaches', and had to take over as she could not control the group, and what she was 'coaching' was basically unsafe. I went to speak to the Headteacher who was very grateful that I had stepped in, and asked me if I would like to take over the session the following week, and he would pay me!!! A bonus, yes, but I think he was more relieved that there was no accident and he was not going to be sued!!! The person in charge of these 'coaches' complained, but the Head stood firm, and I still work their two years on.