1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What if a school can't afford 1:1 iPads?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by NaomiK89, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Word on the street is that iPads are going to revolutionise learning by making it more personalized. I've read a lot on the benefits of this and I agree that there is huge potential in this idea. But what about schools that cannot afford 1 iPad (or other tablet computer) per pupil? Is it worth buying any at all?
    Can they be used for collaborative learning so they could be bought and shared?
    Does this seriously limit the reason for having the devices at all?
    I've been involved in a trial in a junior school in Edinburgh that has
    tried having a class set to be shared around and have struggled with the
    individual nature of the iPad and have found very little on the market
    for collaborative exercises. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this issue.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Thats about 99%
    Unlkely...

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Which street is that then? I work in a 1:1 school in Switzerland and it isn't all as seamlessly personalised as the blurb would have you believe. The equipment may change but you also have a large number of staff who have to use the technology. They will need to be trained how to use it, how to implement it within the classroom environment and - most difficult - that the time invested into learning will be repaid in the classroom.
    Good luck with that one.
    They may enhance certain aspects of collaborative learning, but the learning takes place because of the children not the iPads.
    Not at all. You can play some fantastic games on them, watch movies, browse the net, etc. etc.
    There are many issues involved in 1:1 learning. The IT infrastructure of the school has to be pretty robust to deal with the number of users who will need to access the net wirelessly. You need to have something in place for when hardware breaks down, there are costs involved in getting software licences ( the Apple licencing structure is not the greatest ), the time required to upgrade machines etc. etc.
    Did I mention the cost involved in buying the machines? That is, actually, the cheapest part of the whole deal. Right until you need to buy the next one a couple of years down the line.

4. First of all, I'm a massive fan of the iPad. I use it in my school, mainly as a electronic planner, but also to access internet, show Powerpoints, etc. really glad I bought it, especially as I am in a school where each teacher is peripatetic. Also for my life outside of school the iPad is great.
    But.... I don't think it is yet ready for mass use in the educational market, for most of the reasons already outlined in this thread. The main point about the iPad is the apps, and there are simply not enough DECENT educational apps yet available to justify the cost. And the cost... they are so expensive, even if you do buy it in the US in a state with low sales tax.
    IPads need a good WiFi network; for some reason I find that the iPad needs a slightly better signal than my laptop needs. Thankfully we have one in school as all of out Year 12 and 13 students have laptops, and so many students use the wifi for their smartphones, etc.
    My advice would be to wait couple of years for Apple to reduce the price and for more educational apps to be available.

5. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Not down my way...

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

"What if a school can't afford 1:1 iPads?"
    show me a school which can!

7. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

The money would probably be better spent on another adult in the room.
    Whatever benefit an iPad might bring probably isn't worth that level of investment per child.

8. Cedars in Scotland aready has 1:1 iPads (private school), as does Wallace High in N Ireland (state school). I know of a school in Edinburgh that is currently strategising on how best to role out iPads to all it's pupils.
    But what I'm wondering is that if this is going to cause a digital divide between the rich and the poor schools. Are those that can't afford iPads likely to opt for cheaper tablet models?
    Or will they opt for sharing iPads?
    I've been in discussion with some teachers at an independent school here in Edinburgh and they can imagine the iPad becoming a core part of every lesson in the classroom. If this trend follows through to other schools, there will be pressure on schools not to get left behind.
    What do people think?

9. AdmiralNelson

By the time all schools are ready, wiling and (financially) able to buy them, the Ipdad will be as out of date as an OHP is to us today...

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

[​IMG]

11. Karvol

Forget iPads for the time being as they are still quite limited in terms of what they can do. The ideal thing at the moment is a tablet PC. Get in touch with someone at Zurich International School. They are using the Lenovos. Also I think Geelong Grammar in Australia is using tablet PCs.
    The very strong impression I get from teachers that are using them is that they are a game changer in as much as they allow a truly electronic environment to exist.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I used 3 OHPs yesterday. The ipad didn't have an app fopr what I needed

13. AdmiralNelson

And I haven't seen one in the last 3 schools I've worked in...

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Ipads or OHPs? If the latter it is because I have a stockroom full of them.

15. i pad v netbook.

Not much between them in terms of processing power or screen size.

But the netbook will run pretty much any PC software, has a keyboard and is almost half the price dependent on model.

Netbook will come with a lot more storage.

16. AdmiralNelson

And when enough go wrong/missing/obsolete...?

17. I am assuming you are referring to the i-pads rather than the teachers, although I did work at a school where the metalwork teacher was 'leaned on' by the headteacher enough to destroy his health so the head managed to get rid of a D allowance teacher, freed up another room and got a cash sum for the lathes. How's that for an 'obsolete' teacher?
    Of course we could take the example of the education system in the Outback of Australia and do it over the airwaves or over the internet. You only need to employ a few teachers (in that centre of civilisation London, well away from knuckle-dragging Neanderthals like me), the National Curriculum becomes completely standardised and the kids stay at home so you can sell off schools to build houses. You could then advertise abroad for foreign workers to replace all the parents who have to give up their jobs to make sure their kids do actually sit in front of their computer.
    It is a good thing I am typing this rather than saying it because my speech would not be that clear with my tongue so firmly in my cheek. Unfortunately I think this government would run a feasibility study.

18. Karvol

A misnomer. A computer only needs to be started once in the day, not every lesson.
    Typing on them is slow and laborious.
    Compared to a mobile phone. Compared to a computer they are slow as slow can be.
    About half of that at best would be more realistic.
    When was the last time you saw an iPad teach a class of 30 odd kids?
    No, the greatest learning resource of any school is its teaching staff.
    Compared to a laptop or a PC, an iPad is a toy.

19. I agree that the cost of the iPad can be prohibitive ... even with the iPad2 being reduced in price by 20% with the release of the new iPad.

I'm of the opinion that this is a temporary situation though ... one of the predictions ... in my eBook "An Educator's iPad" http://AnEducatorsiPad.com ... I believe that we will eventually be BYOD ... Students will bring their own devices to school. I deliberately says devices as a student may have a smart phone a tablet and ??? ....In the same way that many teachers are already modelling.

The guarantee is that tablets and smart phones are revolutionising teaching and learning .... For real this time ... More information/advice can be found at http://Shambles http://shambles.net .net/ICT/#mobile

p.s. and the cost of the eBook is not prohibitive ... it's the same as a hamburger.

Have fun

20. staxis

staxis New commenter

This is all cart before the horse. Work out what you want to do, and if iPads are the best solution then buy them. Don't buy the iPads and then work out what to do with them.