1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What ICT Workshops would you run to improve learning and teaching?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by CricketLover, May 21, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am organising 4 (30 min each) workshops for a whole-school training day with the focus being on 'ICT use to improve learning and teaching'. I want this day to have the 'wow' factor for all staff. I have some ideas for the workshops, such as how to use our new 3d projector, activ expression, alternatives to powerpoint, information literacy etc. I don't want to do Moodle or Interactive Whiteboards because these are establised in the school. If you had a chance, what workshops would you run so that ICT can be used to improve learning and teaching?
    Thanks for your help.
    CricketLover

2. I'd want teachers to get stuck in and do something so would run 2 x 1 hour long sessions, not 4 x 30 minute sessions.30 minutes is too short to do anything except point out a few top tips. They'll have forgotten anything you tell them 5 minutes after walking out the room.

3. Thanks for your reply.
    The reason why the sessions are 30 mins is to get all staff through a variety of ICT in half a day. I will then run more lengthy and in-depth workshops next academic year.
    Any advice on what ICT you would cover?
    Thanks.
    CricketLover.

4. #1 on my list would be the difference between a slideshow and a presentation

5. Ask them what they want / need, or put half a dozen suggestions up and get them to vote / pick what they want? You'll be catering for a wide range of abilities so will you need to plan for someone who takes 10 minutes to log in and someone who takes 5 seconds being in the same session? In 30 minutes, you are very limited so e.g. how to back up securely data onto a pen drive (and why it should be secure) and use it properly, how to keep files safe on staff laptops, using formulas to convert between numbers and grades, setting up a wiki, setting up a blog (probably needs a few hours for these) etc.

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

a bit of context would have been helpful: what kind of school are we talking about here? staff numbers? skilled individuals available to help others? number of srtaff? staff skill base? curriculum needs? professional needs? basic skillls beyond the power button? previous recent INSETs? your skill level?

7. Google Docs (staff collaboration, pupil traffic lighting, forms for surveys/questionnaires/self&peer-assessment.

Good use of the learning platform.

Alternatives to PowerPoint (for both teaching and learning - i.e. for the whiteboard and for the students to present work [please, PLEASE try to get them out of the habit of booking an IT room and saying 'make a PowerPoint on...'])

How to use ICT appropriately (AKA how to not waste 45 minutes by saying 'research on the Internet'...) with practical, modelled examples.

8. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

You say you have "done" moodle but have you covered things like embedding hot potatoes quizzes and the uploadpdf tool. How far have you gone with moodle? It's just that at out place it's the one tool that teachers keep coming to me for rather than anything else...

9. Thanks to all for the great feedback. I will let you know what i have planned soon.