1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What I wished I knew before moving to the Middle East

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TheIrishTeacher, Feb 7, 2019.

1. TheIrishTeacher

TheIrishTeacher New commenter

SaffraJay and mary821 like this.
  2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Question: What do I wish I had known before moving to the Middle East?
    Answr: I wish I had known how blooming awful it is to work in any of Madam A***'s school in Qatar.

Oh yes. And read this amazing blog by some Irish girl, where you will find out that cocktails are expensive and yes, it gets hot in the summer in Doha. Pretty amazing stuff, hey?

towncryer and T0nyGT like this.
  3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

And there's lots of sand
    Next week in my blog I will reveal that lots of ME people live there

4. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

It's like a Contiki I have a J-O-B in the ME journal about sand, cocktails and oh.... In the desert... It gets #reallybloominhot.

Culture?Traffic and #OMG driving? Culture?$$$ effects and limitations of the blockade?Culture?Locations to live in?Rental market?Culture?Establishments 2 Swipe Right?

5. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

That there is a disproportionately large amount of sodomy.

Never insult a Sheikhs camel!

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I taught my son for the literature element of his Spanish A Level paper. In the course of one of our discussions, I challenged the lad to translate: ‘If I had known what I know now, I would not have done what I did.’ Without hesitation he replied ‘Si hubiera sabido lo que sé ahora, no habría hecho lo que hice.’ I mention this because I have often noticed how few people, including highly-paid professionals such as BBC announcers, can’t handle that particular grammatical construction (and a stack of others, to be frank) even in their own language.

Think how useful dear old Dumbells would find it if ‘Si hubiera sabido lo que sé ahora, no hubiera ido a España’ (If I had known what I know now, I would not have gone to Spain) could just trip off his keyboard without the usual protracted pause for reflection.

And, yes, when I went to Brazil I found an awful lot of coffee there.

desertestrella7 and towncryer like this.
  7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I don't mean to sound harsh, but how did you not know that it was hot before you moved to the middle East? Also, how would knowing where you can drink a nice cocktail have helped you before you'd even moved there?

towncryer likes this.
  8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

You're being a bit mean, guys. She's just trying to be nice. A bit young and naive (some expats just started doing beach clean-ups?... yeah, they started twenty or more years ago), but sweet.

9. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

I have to agree with @TheIrishTeacher here. It's definitely on my top 5 things I need to know about a new location, along with plugs, currency et al.

As for the heat, if all your life you've thought that 30C is 'really hot' then 45 to 50C can come as quite a shock!

blueskydreaming and Leonardo1983 like this.
  10. the hippo

Perhaps you are right, gulfgolf. Yes, it is true that some blogs are pretty boring and obvious. Let's hope that no one writes some rubbish about China or Bulgaria.

11. Leonardo1983

Leonardo1983 New commenter

Agree with gulf- some of these responses are a little negative.
    Some simple but useful info on that blog to the totally uninitiated.

12. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Your blog is certainly not rubbish.

It's more the plastic 4 pack holder around a ducks neck kinda blog. Slowly strangling the life out of people.....

(Only joking). I have read it before, and it's not bad to be fair. X

13. le2012

le2012 New commenter

Well, I pushed Sheikh's son out of a way and got away with it ;) Just FYI, I was a grumpy teen and went to school with him. Had no idea who he was and got audible gasp from everyone around me. But to me, he was blocking my way so there.

and you should be happy to turn a blind eye to modern slavery and take special pleasure in hypocrisy. My favourite line in ME was 'Allah can't see under the roof.'

14. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The Emir's daughter is permitted to bring an semi automatic pistol to school even if she has had no training in how to use it. The school principal nearly had a heart attack when I placed the pistol on her desk!

I had to arrange an ex member of the SBS to give the young lady a few lesson in how to handle the pistol and it was all OK.

Leonardo1983 likes this.
  15. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

On a sixth form trip to Switzerland, my future brother-in-law C.O.Jones succumbed to the temptation of 'acquiring' an antique cowbell which had been attached to a contemporary cow. Before beginning a salutary dressing-down, the stony-faced cop who interviewed Jones at the station placed his pistol on the desk between them. I wish I could relate that Jones has been a model citizen ever since but veteran readers of these boards will know otherwise.

yasf likes this.
  16. Zimrilim

Zimrilim New commenter

You will realise after one day of induction or indoctrination as we used to call it, that you have made a massive mistake in signing up for one of Madam A's pretend schools.
    You might want to also avoid The Irish Harp on a Thursday night if you're young and female. Beware the kind ladies in the toilet who would love to introduce you to their wealthy but lonely friends.

17. february31st

february31st Established commenter

In Kuwait the divorced women use to be on the lookout for single western man in the Sultan Center. Very easy to spot a single man by the contents of the shopping trolley!

18. tollolo

tollolo New commenter

They will be a lot of young teachers noticing expensive cocktails and instagram.

576 likes this.
  19. adrixargentina

adrixargentina New commenter

Who is Madam A?!

20. the hippo

I would love to tell you the name of Madam A***, but it is not permitted on this forum. Her growing empire is spreading all over Doha.