1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What I should be doing...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MrsArmitage, Sep 1, 2011.

1. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

I should probably be doing the same thing! However, as I've had a horrible year at work and no sign of it getting better, I resent doing anything that makes me miserable, so I'm on holiday until the very VERY end! Enjoy it![​IMG]

2. I should be doing all the work I brought home to do this summer. Instead I am on a mini protest so I am sat watching tv. Will be off to the gym soon as further avoidance.
    Like you MrsArmatige I had a horrible last term at work and just the thought of opening anything school related fills me with misery. Some of the work has a Monday deadline but at the moment I'm thinking **** it!

3. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

I know lots of people will probably disagree with me, but 'that's the spirit PFF!' When you've had a horrible time at work, having to deal with it in your home as well can take that problem in to the place that's supposed to be your sanctuary from the workplace. In past years, I would probably be beavering away frantically, but this year, no! Colleagues have treated me atrociously, and I've been royally stitched up by higher echelons of the school - so I'm milking every last drop out of this holiday! PFF - go to the gym, and then eat chips. Watch Rosemary and Thyme on ITV4. Have the world's longest bath. Make a token effort for tomorrow and try to find keys to classroom. Then read a copy of Pick Me Up. Just hold on to that holiday feeling! xx

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

A friend of mine used to sit in her car in the staff car park sobbing before going in to school for the first inset in September. A workplace shouldn't do that.

5. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I worked in a school where at least 3 of the staff did that everyday (me included) and half of them were SLT...

6. You have all made me feel much much much better about the fact that I am still practising every avoidance technique known to man rather than get box files and school diary out...

7. Sounds like our place at the moment rosie, except most of us can't even hold it in anymore when in school. Thankfully we all have large classroom cupboards which have become a bit of a sanctuary! If you can't find someone in their classroom you can guarantee 9 times out of 10 that they are in the cupboard having a sob.

8. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Time to leave surely??

9. I should be writing the scheme of work I promised to do before the end of last term. However, I may bake a cake, watch a DVD, clean the oven, hoover the stairs, mow the lawn, dye my hair, pack away summer camping equipment...........You get the picture! I excel at procrastination.

10. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

I should be driving into work to get a few bits done before Monday, as I have ordered things online to be delivered tomorrow so I can't go in then as they come between 7am-9pm.
    Instead I am sat in my pjs and dressing gown!

11. You are me - its unkanny! I'm back tomorrow for an INSET day. Yesterday - I was going to work, really I was - but I didn't (I do have a 7 year-old who's not back til Monday. I went to the cinema last night with my other half and told myself tomorrow I will get up early and work all day. I even wrote a list with my youngest of all the things he could do while I work. I bought him his favourite foods and snacks to occupy him - sorted I thought.
    In reality, I got up at 8am (reluctantly) and saw my partner off to work. Right I thought - just read one more chapter of my book - then start work at 10 - yes that's what I'll do. At 10.30, I stopped reading, washed up, made a coffee, put a wash in and put wet clothes on the line, sorted out the recycling. 11.30 - cleared the table in the kitchen ready to work. Plugged in my laptop, carried 2 huge bags of school stuff into kitchen and emptied them out, wrote a 'jobs' list on the first page of my new Notebook in order of priority (10 items - I'm a SENCo so its all paperwork, paperwork, paperwork). Realistically I thought to myself, I'm going to optimistically aim to complete first 4/5 jobs before tomorow (job 3 has to wait until tomorrow in school). Pleased with myself, I put thee kettle on (12.00 noon). 12.10 my 18 year-old gets up (oh dear - will I get any work done now). 12,10 he goes on my lap top while I make him a cup of tea. I might as well make lunch! 12.30 phone call from other half. 12.50 Sit down at lap top to eat lunch. I'll just check my ebay, email, face book and watch a video on youtube while I eat. Then I'll start on item 1 on my list.
    2:07 Whoops!!!

...........You get the picture! I also excel at procrastination.

12. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I did [​IMG] best move I ever made!
    Subsequently I am now lying in the sun with absolutely nothing that I need to do...!

13. Hmm have now looked at the textbooks, which I guess counts as work?
    Though I have spent the afternoon so far reading (and not the textbooks!)
    Thinking at least have the weekend to prepare before any teaching (while knowing that I have a busy weekend planned so highly unlikely).
    Glad that there are so many others not doing anything, though am sad so many people have such bad experiences at work

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've still got a list as long as your arm of things I should be doing, and I've only had 6 nights away from home this holiday. Most of the rest of the time I've been busy catching up on loads of little jobs round the house, which is strangely satisfying in its own way, but also knackering. Going back to work won't seem very different this year.

15. I did mean to go in today, but then thought 'well, I've brought all books home, and room was left tidy, only filing to do'...Then unaccountably my sock drawer and freezer needed a good sort out, washing needed doing, needed a new ironing board (!), and here I am checking e-mail and sorting my on-line favourites. Ah well, the sun is out - can't bear to think about Monday when there are three more days left!

16. Done a couple of hours this afternoon... in reality I've mad a LIST of what is urgent... NEXT Week! lol

17. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Jeez!

18. I went to school. It was inset. 194 left to go...

19. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I have allocated tomorrow as 'prepare for school day'.
    Before I start though, I thought I might: change all the beds, wash windows, change curtains, sort out stuff for charity, clean the oven, clean the hob, bath the dog, sort out photos, bake a cake, make a Christmas card list, sell my thin lady clothes on Ebay, wash the car, order spring bulbs, mow the lawn, iron stuff.........
    (OK, cross that last one out, I'll never iron stuff..)

20. Snap.
    And at one key moment I heard the word 'portfolio' and remembered that I had given myself the creation of levelled portfolios of work for my subject as one of my jobs this holiday.
    Guess it is too late now!