1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What I learned from my first term as a headteacher

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 28, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Skychaserhigh

Skychaserhigh New commenter

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I had my first term as a head nearly 20 years ago now.

What I learnt, however, was that the first term was by far the easiest and least stressful of all in headship...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I agree Middlemarch! I have been a headteacher for only a year but looking back, the first term was the easiest and least stressful and one in which I was most naive!

Middlemarch likes this.
  5. Middlemarch

Yes, it always brings a wry smile to my face when people in their first term rave about how lovely it all is...

6. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

Thank you Rosaline for the link about my first term as a headteacher. It was really nice to read a positive experience and some sage advice. Most people posting on these threads are talking about the difficulties. I am going to put into practice taking control of my diary. What a good idea to find people rather than waiting for them to turn up to the door. I think a visible head can make a real difference and the key is speaking to as many staff as possible. If you are on walkabout you can also walk away from the time wasting colleague rather than being cornered in an office. Thank you

7. Middlemarch

That's been considered good practice for heads since the early 90s at least. I don't personally know of any head who didn't think and do this.