1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What haven't you done this summer that you would have liked to have done?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mfl-hopeful, Aug 30, 2011.

1. As the title says. What will you do differently next summer?

So 6 weeks of holidays and I wanted to learn a new language, go somewhere exotic and do more exercise. I can safely say I've done none of those things. How about you?

2. We never quite got round to going away- apart from 1 night for our anniversary. This was supposed to be the summer we sorted out the house, and we haven't even managed to do that. I have glanced at my timtable ( haven't actually got a copy, but can remember most of it) and outlined about 2 lessons for one morning- that's it! When people ask, I won't be able to tell them what I've done, but honestly, I have been really busy. Where has the time gone?

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i was going to spend a day by the sea but forgot... also should have had smear test and car service done. oops.
    all terribly boring!

4. bnm

bnm

I feel smug. I have done all I intended to do: a little work-wise, nothing house-wise and 3 trips away.
    The secret is to have nice things on your to-do list.

5. Being jobless and without income, I would have liked to have found some sort of job and eaten more!

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I wish I'd finished getting my bloody attic sorted earlier.

See you later - off upstairs for more loft insulation fun and frolics.

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I intended to:
    • decorate the living room - check
    • decorate the kitchen - check, one door left to paint which I will get done this week
    • finish unpacking - nearly check, there are several boxes in the spare room that I need to tackle
    • enjoy a couple of camping trips - check
    • make sure I am set up with the Wii and exercise bike ready to exercise when termtime starts - check
    • do a bit of school work - I have started a teeny this this morning and might get a bit done on Thursday and Friday
    • do a bit in my new garden - that's going to have to be my break from school work on Thursday and Friday this week!
    I have enjoyed this break more than any other so far in my teaching career. I feel relaxed and refreshed. That's got to be the most important thing.

8. bombaysapphire, that is impressive. Emilystrange you're not the only one :(

9. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I'll be honest... I hoped for a slightly more active summer than i've had. I hoped to be out and about more and enjoying it more, and actually the reality has been that i've been sat on the sofa feeling miserable and lonely. I know it was always going to be hard with my OH going away for 6 months, but there were a few weeks where I was so miserable I was barely eating. The last 2 weeks have been better, but now I look back and think about all the things I could have done and didn't.... Oh well. That's life isn't it!

10. I'm still working through my list:
    Finish and submit MA assignment (1 Aug) - Check
    Finish all SoWs needed until Christmas - Check
    Sort out and mark Yr 10 coursework - Half Check
    Write UCAS tutor reports - Mostly Check
    Edit DVD of school musical - Half Check
    Go to Wales for wedding - Check
    Go to London for Big Screen/Movie Con - Check
    Go to Paris for a nice little break - Check
    Buy everything for OH's move back to flat in Wales- Check
    Go into to school and set up new classroom (Thursday this week)
    I'm pretty happy with what I've done and what I can still get done... next year I don't know, there will be another assignment due but hopefully no Sows to do, nor UCAS reports to write... More reading for pleasure time hopefully...

11. I started off the summer with tax return as the only item on my 'to do' list.
    Well it was eventually completed this morning, but now needs photocopying and posting...
    Had two short breaks away, but other than that I've completely chilled...

12. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Every summer holiday I plan to write a bestselling novel and somehow never get round to it.
    More realistically, I wish I had tidied the study at home - although the rest of the house is clean and organised now so at least there's just the one messy room. Everyone needs a messy room, right?
    I got most of the jobs on my list done but have missed some silly little things, like getting the duvets dry-cleaned and organising my bedroom drawers properly. On the whole, though, I'm pleased with this summer and feel that I've used it better than the past few. MA assignment submitted, a few trips away enjoyed, most of my school filing and planning sorted or at least on the road to being sorted, bookcases and cookery books reorganised, bank accounts rejigged, and most importantly lots of good food and early nights! Fingers crossed that I can keep that up once we return to work.

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I did not win the lottery! Back over two weeks now and just as stressed as I was in June.

14. I have bought the new loo seat but it is still sitting on top of the landing in it's box.................................5 minute job??????????

15. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Most people have a messy drawer, Sue! Not an entire room.

16. Nooo I have at least one messy drawer in every room

17. bnm

bnm

I have a messy room (at the moment two, but one is only temporary and will be sorted out by Friday).
    It's so full/messy we need professional help to sort the storage out in there.

18. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

We moved 4,000 miles back to the UK after 5 yrs in the Caribbean this time last year. I really was going to unpack the last of the boxes and sort out our bedroom where most of them are stored, honestly I was...but I didn't!

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Me too. Only difference is I've still got to do it! [​IMG]

20. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

One thing I planned to do this Summer was win the lottery. But alas ..[​IMG]