1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What have your observations been like?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon1369, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I started my nqt year in sept in a very tough school! Due to the lack of jobs it had been over a year since I completed my pgce so I had been out of teaching for quite a time really.

I am struggling with most of my classes as they are still trying it on and behaviour is still an issue although it is slowly getting better. I have openly admitted this to anyone who will listen and everyone says the same thing; the first year in this school is hell and if you survive here you can teach anywhere - but this isn't much of a comfort.

I have had 2 observations, the 1st during the second week so obviously that didn't go too well. The second was recently and was a joint observation but 20 mins into the lesson my mentor announced they were leaving to discuss what they had seen so far. To be honest I found this very rude, it was not mentioned before hand and so I presumed they would be there for the whole lesson. The lesson was a bit slow to start as it takes them a while to settle. However by the end of the lesson most of them had made excellent progress but this wasn't seen by the observers.

Both my observations have been graded inadequate which I am distraught about and don't think my second one deserved that low a grade. I feel dreadful and I'm doubting my ability to teach, my hod makes me feel like a failure and doesn't have much constructive advise to offer.

Please tell me I'm not alone in this.

2. I started my nqt year in sept in a very tough school! Due to the lack of jobs it had been over a year since I completed my pgce so I had been out of teaching for quite a time really.

I am struggling with most of my classes as they are still trying it on and behaviour is still an issue although it is slowly getting better. I have openly admitted this to anyone who will listen and everyone says the same thing; the first year in this school is hell and if you survive here you can teach anywhere - but this isn't much of a comfort.

I have had 2 observations, the 1st during the second week so obviously that didn't go too well. The second was recently and was a joint observation but 20 mins into the lesson my mentor announced they were leaving to discuss what they had seen so far. To be honest I found this very rude, it was not mentioned before hand and so I presumed they would be there for the whole lesson. The lesson was a bit slow to start as it takes them a while to settle. However by the end of the lesson most of them had made excellent progress but this wasn't seen by the observers.

Both my observations have been graded inadequate which I am distraught about and don't think my second one deserved that low a grade. I feel dreadful and I'm doubting my ability to teach, my hod makes me feel like a failure and doesn't have much constructive advise to offer.

Please tell me I'm not alone in this.

3. No, you are absoultely not alone! I am a primary NQT but a very similar experience. I have had two observations both graded inadequate and have got my meeting with mentor and headteacher on Thursday.
    I agreed with the first inadequate grading, but the second one seemed very harsh, and over what I believe, was a very small issue.
    I have been asked to take children's literacy books to my meeting but the other NQT in my school hasn't for hers, and I have a feeling the meeting won't be pleasant. I am very worried.
    I can't work any harder than I am now, and I have admitted that I finding things difficult but I was an 'outstanding' student and struggling now I'm on my own.
    Good luck, I'm thinking of you x