1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What have we become as a country?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Oct 15, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

We seem to have created a toxic "hostile immigration environment." Is this populist politicians reacting to what they believe to be the public mood? Should we really be denying 9 year olds the chance to live with their mothers, or deporting women to countries they've never lived in, with a horrendous record for sexual violence against women?

I'm ashamed to be British right now.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...public-of-congo-never-visited-sexual-violence

2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The article does not seem to offer any reason or explanation as to why she was denied a visa to stay.

needabreak likes this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Would she prefer Nigeria? You come here to study and presumably get a visa to do so, visa ends and you expect what exactly?

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

A bit harsh but it does appear she and the others mentioned failed to investigate their migration status beyond their immediate personal circumstances. These are highly educated people. Why do they not think it through?

towncryer and needabreak like this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

She has a video on her twitter account which is so long and wandering that I wouldn't be surprised if Home Office officials had lost the will to live before she got to the end. As far as I can gather, she came to the UK on a Congolese passport which expired and was not renewed while she was here. She also had annual tourist visas for Nigeria, which they eventually refused to renew, and she broke the terms of her UK student visa either by being out of the country for more days in a year than are allowed or for staying more than 4 months beyond the end of the course.

6. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

If she kicks up enough fuss, doubtless she will be allowed to stay even though she has no entitlement.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Not all folk come with honest intent. Often its to avoid going through the process of applying to stay as a resident.
    They know the criteria sometimes, yet choose to ignore it.
    I am not sure this reflects on the Uk and makes us any more worse than other places.Some are even more stricter .

8. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I know what you mean, olds. I just think some people are desperate to portray the UK as some kind of evil proto fascist state when actually it is one of the best countries in which to live hence the numbers so desperate to get here and live here. I have said this many times before, the UK is by no means perfect but there are few places better.

needabreak and lanokia like this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Nigeria won't accept her. She's not Nigerian.

As it says in the article:

Asani does not have the option of returning to Nigeria as her family was on a temporary residence permit there, which they had to renew each year. When she visits her mother, a dental surgeon in Nigeria, she now has to apply for a visitor’s visa. The Nigerian embassy has made it clear they intend to refuse her most recent application for a visitor’s permit, in part because they are concerned about her UK visa running out. “The UK government says they don’t believe this, but I sent them extensive documentary evidence proving it,” she says.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The thing is we can om=nly believe what we are told. There are always 2 sides to any story but I dislike the nation being portrayed as evil by some.
    I would much sooner make sure all those who came here in good faith from the Carribean stayed than others who came and overstayed their welcome

11. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

My question was about where she would prefer to go and what did she expect when her visa ran out.