1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What have I done?! :oO

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Dino4, Jan 24, 2012.

1. After almost 8 years (and 4 children) since qualifying, I took the plunge today and joined a supply agency. They rang me as soon as I'd left with a job tomorrow with KS2...

Great news, except I am absolutely petrified.

Any advice?

Thank you :eek:)

2. After almost 8 years (and 4 children) since qualifying, I took the plunge today and joined a supply agency. They rang me as soon as I'd left with a job tomorrow with KS2...

Great news, except I am absolutely petrified.

Any advice?

Thank you :eek:)

3. Research as much as you can about the school/its policies on the internet. Remind yourself of all the behaviour management techniques you had to employ when you last worked. Keep your expectations high and don't settle for anything less. Find out if you're expected to mark the books after teaching. Take your own flask of tea/coffee ! Best of luck.

4. My top tips are..........
    There is a usefull supply pack covering all age ranges you can find on the resource section of this website.
    Go in outwardly appearing confident and make sure the children can sense this.
    Remember that the day will not be perfect! There will be problems as that is the nature of supply.
    Take in a poetry book if you have one and start the day with a poem.
    I like to use clapping for behaviour management. I clap out a tune and ask them to repeat. I am not afraid to admonish them if they did not listen carefully but always praise them when they get it right. I then continue to use clapping throughout the day to gain their attention. Beats raising your voice!
    Hope this is of some help.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Lots of supportive advice there.
    A job almost as soon as you join- that's already cause for celebration.[​IMG]
    Once you're back in the classroom, you won't have a moment to worry and no doubt it will all come flooding back. Remember the good advice about not expecting wonders. Like everything else it takes time to get used to. I waas once told 'If you're still standing and smiling at the end of the day, call that success!'
    Best of luck!

6. Thanks for taking the time to reply - very helpful words :eek:)

Am alternating between thinking calm thoughts and having palpitations. I'll search for that resource pack.

Thank you!

7. Don't worry too much. I've never had to use much of my own stuff at all.

8. They must have taken references and verified your qualifications very quickly! :)

9. I think he was desperate not to turn a school down - he's gone out himself before now rather than say no (it's a family-run business and they are both retired heads.

10. Just thought I'd come back and let you know how it went. Had year 5/6 in the morning and year 3/4 in the afternoon. I survived!

Highlight of the day - having a child with problems participate and enjoy a difficult English lesson.

Low points - Forgetting to give one group the work they were supposed to do (hth did I manage that?!) and leaving feeling a bit disillusioned by education (as a parent).

Thanks again for support :eek:)