1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What has happened to my class and how do I fix it??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by inky, Mar 2, 2012.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Does that mean that they might be getting bored with non-stop free play? Or that Reception teachers don't - because of other pressing matters - put the same effort into free play?

2. I think a bit of both!
    I certainly have a few children who really push me to think of ways to extend their learning. A couple of girls in particular are really bright and I'm eager to move their learning forward.
    Some of my children would happily build in the Lego all day with no intervention from the staff!
    But yes, there are other pressures too.

3. I do think children can have the same problem when they've too much choice. I have one little boy that flits from one thing to another, causing havoc wherever he is, because he just wants to do everything!

4. Mine have been the same too :) They are really tired at the moment and there has been a change in the weather and any tiny little change e.g. not having to put their coats on sends them a bit crazy!!! I spoke to an experienced EYFS teacher in my school and her children are the same so I'm pretty sure its the time of year and just one of those things!! I have been a little bit harsher on them so they know that there are still rules which I constantly refer to!!!

5. It happens every year around this time - I have no idea why!!
    Try playing them the you tube clip of Sunnyside Daycare from Toy Story 3 where the children are basically trashing the place. I am always surprised with the answers when I ask "why do you think I have showed you that clip?" Its usually the biggest culprit that gets it "because thats how we are behaving" "They're not using the toys properly" etc.
    Its worth a go!

6. Ha ha I love that idea flossieflo!! Made me laugh! Luckily my class haven't started misbhaving yet (touch wood!)....at the moment I'm just trying to do lots of different things to keep their attention and although some children need routine (not in my current class)...I keep changing things around-getting instruments out when it's meant to be CLIC (a number lesson)....having lots of opportunities to stand up and dance/move-digit dance, squiggle, count and clap and move etc. making a video of a puppet who's coming to visit-getting ready for him etc.

7. Do you have the link to this video, as all I could find were computer game walkthroughs. Thank you!

8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrwcycSgmPU

I am defiantly going to try that clip with my little terrors tomorrow... they have been driving me loopy at certain points this week!

9. Thank you! Will definitely be using this, as soon as my terrors are back - most of them are off sick at the moment!

10. Not unless they've all been ill since September, which they haven't, no.

11. Ha! I love the idea of playing my class that video clip. My only worry is that some of them would think it was funny to 'be like the children in Toy Story' and it'd make things worse!!! Worth a try though, if only to give them a break from me banging on about 'looking after our toys'.