1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What has changed - lack of leads from Tutor Hunt?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Ozzie777, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

I have been a tutor on TH for over 7 years and always had a reasonable stream of enquiries with a good conversion rate. Since last September, I have had two enquiries. I have a number of 5 star ratings (nothing less than this) and have provided TH with the (new) requirement for references. Something seems to have changed, either with the tutoring market or with TH. My wife, who has her own TH account, has had the same. I have a response percentage of 100% below two hours.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

I should add that I haven't changed anything - my rate is still the same as two years ago.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I came off it when they asked for new refs. I just thought it was a farce. I'm the same person that all my reviews are about. I'm not hassling people to write a reference that I don't need

suzette and gainly like this.
  4. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I think there is just a lot of competition at the moment. There's TH, FT, TF.... and they are all very good platforms. There is also this massive amount of online tutoring that can be done by anyone from around the world. It's a competitive business.

5. suzette

suzette New commenter

I think there are some online tutoring companies that are really good & some where they are not great. I think they all go through moments where there is hardly any traffic regarding jobs. You get busy moments; around GCSE exam season (as I call them) & 11+ season, where it's at times mega busy. Generally I'm on two sites: one has a steady flow of potential clients coming through, the other almost nothing.

What you might want to consider is during the quiet moments is advertising through other sources. Eg: Putting ads in your local library, newsagents or those free local newspapers. I got a few genuine clients this way and tutored their children for a while.

6. hoalarg

hoalarg New commenter

I've noticed this too. On FT I think they have now a premium service whereby tutors must pay to get their profiles on the higher listing. Not sure how much it is but I haven't had one enquiry since then.

7. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I was thinking this to, I’m on a different platform and have not had any enquiries for weeks then this week got another one! A bit late in the year!

Anyway it is a competitive market and it does go quiet sometimes.