1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens to August salary if I’m off sick at the end of term?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by janidge, Jul 6, 2018.

1. janidge

janidge New commenter

I am currently off sick from school because of workplace stress. I am new in the partnership so my sick days are reduced to 25 on full pay and 50 on half pay. My last day on full pay is Tuesday 10th July. I accept that I will go to half pay until the end of term but what happens once the holidays start? Will my August salary be full or half? I should add I am on a one year contract that ends on 31st August. Should I go back for a couple of days so that I’m signed fit for work ready to start a new job? Sadly, after 32 years I have decided to give up teaching and am looking for any jobs that I think I will enjoy whatever the pay. Obviously I am concerned about my mortgage but have discovered I can reduce my payments. Also I can rent out a room tax free to help. Life is too short to stay in a job that makes me ill.

midnight_angel and agathamorse like this.
  2. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

It’s best to ask your union for advice and get them to talk to school about this on your behalf.

3. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

If you are too ill to work, you should not present yourself for work. Similarly, if you feel up to going back for the last few days, which are usually a bit less stressful and busy (I know this depends on where you work, my place is nuts for the last fortnight), then go for it!

Can't advise over the August pay, as I am unsure what would happen here.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. mm71

mm71 Occasional commenter

It should be 1/2 pay as you have run out of your allocation of full pay

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Your school will have a sickness policy (and a pay one) which should answer this question precisely, policies are usually accessible on the intranet. If it doesn't answer it then you could ask HR but they might not be better informed and so would say half-pay as well.

As a general principle if your last working day is half-pay then the holiday will be as well so don't expect too much.

If you drag yourself in for the last 2 days then the clock should be reset but again the policy might make that clearer.

6. janidge

janidge New commenter

Thanks everyone.
    I’ve contacted my union but not heard back yet.
    I thought it would quite likely be half pay but live in hope!

7. pootletheflump

pootletheflump New commenter

If your last day of full pay is before the end of term you will then be on half pay throughout the summer until you return to work - however the 50 days of half pay are only WORK days . That is how I believe it to be

8. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

As some of your holiday pay will have been accrued during your full pay this might not be the case

Contact your union as no on on here (including me) knows the definitive answer.

When you get the answer log back in and tell us as we can use it to help others in future

agathamorse likes this.