1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens on inset days?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by salohalley, Jul 16, 2017.

1. salohalley

salohalley New commenter

Sorry me again. Just wondered what usually happens on inset days as I'm a bit nervous as to what to expect. They did mention role play and team building . I think I'm more nervous as I know most of the teachers due to having children at the school. I know that sounds really silly! Im in for fours hours the first say and my normal hours on the second . This is my first ta role so very new to it all.

I have been spending time with the child I am working 1 to 1 with and his such a lovely boy. I'm so worried though that I'm too under qualified to support him and I will mess it all up. Doesn't help I will be working closely with my son's current ta who is very rude to me most days!

Thanks as always for your help xx

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Hi,
    We usually have a meeting but sometimes have training with other schools in which case take a notepad and pen and just listen. Sometimes there is a group activity.
    Otherwise the morning is welcome back and dates, changes and new children info. Basically you just listen and jot down anything important.
    Tha afternoons are usually spent organinsing the classroom, writing names on books and putting new equipment away. Helping do this will be useful as you will then know where everything is kept and not have to ask. Take a pencil and notebook because teachers usually give you a list a mile long and if you are anything like me you will forget after the first three jobs.
    Don't worry too much. As for the TA, I hate rude TAs and most schools seem to have one. Either say " Is there any need to be so rude?" Or ignore and smile at her, it un-nerves them! Good luck.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Good advice from snugglepot. I would expect a whole staff 'welcome back' meeting where they will introduce new staff (don't worry, you won't have to say anything - just smile!) and talk about the new term. Then there may be some training, either whole staff or possibly some TA training. But lots of the time will be spent on classroom organisation; you and the teacher can get to know each other and you can find out what the plans are for the first week and what your role will be.

As for your son's TA - I would smile, ask her if she had a good holiday - be super polite - it's hard to be rude to someone who is being polite and friendly to you.

Don't worry, you will be fine. Inset days are a good time to get to know other staff and make new friends - and you will!

Enjoy the summer!

4. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Inset days are very relaxed and informal. You all come together and it's often called a staff training day. We have main school inset once a week and depending on what it is, we stay for the duration or continue with TA duties. The big inset days (staff training days) are great. We have speakers in on occasions. We have received great training materials and sometimes lunch and refreshments are provided.

Absolutely nothing to worry about. Good luck for your new adventure!!

And sometimes again we are joined by other schools so you make friends and get to know your colleagues better. Nobody has forced me to do anything that i feel uncomfortable with.

5. salohalley

salohalley New commenter

Thank you both so much for your replies . This is a big thing for me as been at home with my children for 10 years and my confidence is at zero lol

pickles124 likes this.
  6. pickles124

What is going on with your sons TA? What's the issue there?

7. pickles124

Everything will be explained tp you. They know you are new, inexperienced and havent been in work for a long time.

8. salohalley

salohalley New commenter

Hey pickles. She is just very rude to me. My son didn't have a school letter he needed and when I asked her she was just stroppy and got a bit angry and was adamant she put it in his bag . When I applied for the job I asked his teacher if she knew what year group i would be working in. She butted in laughing and said " you applied for a job and don't know what it's for " there have been several things. I feel that I should be treated with respect, surely working in a school and dealing with parents she should be polite . I would never speak to a parent like that!

9. pickles124

Yeah that is rude to be honest. She should have just said "I'm really sorry about the letter. I could have sworn i gave your son a letter; it must have got left behind or fallen out somewhere. I will get you a new letter."

And as for the teacher being sarky. Majority of jobs don't state what year group you will be in simply because they need to look at the staffing structure. So they advertise for a general Level 2/3 assistant. You may get told if you go on a school visit.

Honest to God. I haven't got the time for rude sarky people personally. It doesn't sound like these 'people' have 'people skills'.

10. salohalley

salohalley New commenter

No me neither. I think the ta has a big chip on her shoulder for some reason. You can always here her really shouting at the children. I feel so sorry for them as they are only reception age! My son has always disliked her and who can blame him

11. pickles124

Sounds to me like there is no rigid behaviour policy in place or they're not following it.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I went back into teaching after 8 years at home and I found getting on with some colleagues very hard. Eventually I developed a really thick skin and was able to laugh at b I t c h I ness. I would bet that you will fit in quicker than I did - I was a real drip :oops:. Good luck. I'm sure other members of staff already agree with you that the TA you describe is a really rude woman - she may not actually have any allies there and they should welcome you and offer lots of support. You'll make mistakes, just try not to make the same mistake TOO often and do your best - you'll probably be great!

13. salohalley

salohalley New commenter

Aw I'm sure you wasnt a drip! It's so hard to get back into the swing of things. I'm a little shy but I'm sure I will be ok after a few weeks

galerider123 likes this.
  14. PicaPicaCorvid

PicaPicaCorvid New commenter

I was really nervous before starting my first school role after leaving to have my children 5 years before. For the first week I kept panicking whether I was doing things right! It was ok though and I've made friends with other TAs and feel accepted into the fold now.

15. Hi! Im just wondering how you got on in your TA post? You sound EXACTLY the same as me...ive got my first inset day monday and im so nervous as ive been at home with my kids for 10 years. Teo of my kids have TAs so so I know how important it it. My first day at work is Tuesday and I really dont want to let them down as its my first TA post, but I know all the staff and the child im working with well which helps. If you have any advice throw it my way!!!

16. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Don't worry! Everyone feels the same on their first day in a new job, whatever the role and whatever they have recently been doing. Read through this thread again - these are the things that will probably happen on your INSET day. Have a notebook and pen with you, so that if anything comes up in a whole staff meeting that you really are not sure about, you can jot it down and ask either your class teacher or one of the other TAs at lunch time. There will be lots to take in, but don't let that worry you - everyone feels that way too. Schools staff are usually very willing to help, so make friends with the other TAs and ask their advice. Have a good day tomorrow and let us know how it goes.