1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens in your school when..

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by itsgottogetbetter, Dec 13, 2011.

1. What happens in your school if a student tell you to f off?

2. What happens in your school if a student tell you to f off?

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Frankly, not a lot! Maybe a detention and a letter of apology. Certainly not an exclusion, because that would look bad.
    Appalling, isn't it?
    If we said it, we'd be sacked.

4. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Fixed term exclusion of at least three days and an hour's after school detention I reckon.

5. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

A day in the seclusion unit - unless it was at SLT in which case it would prob be three days at least!

6. I embarrass, humiliate and verbally destroy the little sod in front of his/her mates so they learn that its a bad idea to be rude to me. That's what happens if they do it to me.
    I know of teachers who referred incidents like this to SLT. Swearer is told off, referring teacher has their lesson plan/ presence/ 'classroom management skills' scrutinised to see what they did wrong to make a student swear at them.

7. During my NQT year last year, I was frequently sworn at by one Y6 pupil, as well we being spat on, pushed, having things thrown at me... the list was endless. I pretty soon gave up on reporting this to the HT because it was all made to be my fault. The HT even told me off in front of the pupil concerned, for planning a group activity that "I should have known X couldn't cope with". I lived for the day pupil X left at the end of Year 6.

8. moscowbore

moscowbore Established commenter

I have posted this before but I feel it is relevant.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------In my final UK school I was sworn at on my first day of teaching there. Two year 10 boys told me to "*uck off" when I asked them to sit down. I consulted the school disciplinary system documentation and found that I was supposed to refer this to my HOD. My HOD was off ill so I was supposed to send the boys to the relevant HOY. So I did. At next break I discovered that the boys had not gone to the HOY and had gone for a smoke instead. I went looking for the HOY and could not find her as she had just left for a trip. So I went to see the deputy head above her. The first thing the DH said was "What direction were the boys looking when they swore?". Apparently, if they were not looking straight at me they werent swearing at me. I wasnt having it and demanded that the boys be suspended, in keeping with the documented punishment tariff. I was then asked to fill in two forms for each boy very much in the style of a police statement. The two boys were suspended for two days, as per the tariff. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Later, when I was the HOD, a student told one of the teachers in my department yo "*uck off" straight to her face. My rules were that in these circumstances the student was sent straight to me to minimise class disruption. The teacher was under instructions not to say anything to the student other than "Go to Mr HOD". I then took the student to the HOY, as per policy, and returned to my own lesson. 5 minutes later the sworn-at teacher informed me that the student had returned to her lesson. I took the student straight back to the HOY and demanded she dealt with the student appropriately and I stood there until she called the parents who came to collect the little darling.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The acceptance of being sworn at is one of the main reasons I left the UK. Most teachers and management cant be bothered to do anything about it. I found myself in an unpopular minority who simply refused to accept the loutish behaviour. My department GCSE results went from 7% A-C to 72% A-C in one year after I took over. Its not rocket science.

9. Same here.
    Nothing really. The hierarchy don't know what to do.
    Certainly no letter of apology.

10. casper

casper New commenter

Not a lot, but then we also have feral kids running around school. Not only out of our lessons, but disturbing other lessons. No sign of SLT.