1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens in your school if a child tells you to f off?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by leewelsh, Oct 24, 2012.

1. In my school nothing happens.
    As I questioned about what had happened with a student who had swore at me, my hof suddenly decides that I log too much behaviour (I log 3 times as much positive behaviour) and wants to discuss strategies with me. I've been teaching 10 years and never had a behaviour managment problem. It's my strong point. That comment actually made me question my ability as a teacher. I said I did not want to discuss strategies I just wanted it actioned and an apology. Am I wrong? Help.

2. In my school nothing happens.
    As I questioned about what had happened with a student who had swore at me, my hof suddenly decides that I log too much behaviour (I log 3 times as much positive behaviour) and wants to discuss strategies with me. I've been teaching 10 years and never had a behaviour managment problem. It's my strong point. That comment actually made me question my ability as a teacher. I said I did not want to discuss strategies I just wanted it actioned and an apology. Am I wrong? Help.

3. In my school, a Head of Year detention (after school) at the very least; a day in Isolation or even Exclusion for repeat offenders.

4. Nothing?! Recently happened to a teacher I know- child claims to have said "for f's sake" (suuuure) and was excluded for 2 days, then restorative justice was done. I know schools who will take both softer and harder routes- I don't know a single one where that WOULDN'T result in at least a call home and an after school detention. Even swearing that isn't aimed at anyone is worthy of a lunch time detention in my school

5. Honestly nothing!

6. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

I've been in a school where this has been what happened too, and I regret how I handled it. (I just accepted it, like everyone else).
    What does the school policy say should happen? If swearing specifically isn't mentioned, then perhaps the onus is on you to issue a sanction first (e.g. detention and call home). So that isn't 'nothing happening', it's just that you don't want to deal with it [a possibly justifiable position]. If the student doesn't turn up, or you can escalate on other grouds, do so.
    If nothing happens then - the policy isn't followed - email all details to the Headteacher and ask for compliance with the policy (mentioning whether you believe frequent non-compliance, or a one-off failure), or threaten to use the 'whistleblower' mechanism to report it to the chair of governors.
    Copy the email sent to your headteacher to your local union rep too. The head will take more care in their reply if they know the union are watching.
    If you don't stand up for yourself (as I didn't) then nothing changes. And ultimately, it's the kids too that are being let down by the environment.

7. Sorry to hear leewelsh. Just for info,approx how long have you been working in this school? Hope things improve.

8. In our school a child swearing at an adult leads to a day's exclusion.