1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens in your guided reading sessions?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dancinginthecity, Mar 2, 2012.

1. dancinginthecity

dancinginthecity New commenter

Thanks for sharing this. When do the children do the reading with partners? Is that on day one after introduction?

2. MrsELJones

MrsELJones New commenter

Yes i inroduce the book, what it is about and try to get them hyped about it. Then I talk to them about some of the words they may get stuck on and write them on flash cards so we can sound them out together, before they start to read. Also look at tricky words. Then they read on their own in partners. The first time they read is slow and is for decoding. Then on day 2 we look at the tough words again and go through them. I read the book and they follow with their sticks. I discuss every page with them. After, I ask questions about the story and the children have to find it and prove it the book.

3. dancinginthecity

thanks for that, mrs jones. Its very similar to my approach but I'll be adding some paired reading.

4. dancinginthecity

Not a lot of replies. Just wondering if this might be because lots of teachers are not confident about their guided reading? Maybe they're just too busy planning their reading sessions : )

5. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Welshwonder is there anywhere you can attend these courses without her coming to your school? I am very interested in hearing more about this :)

6. pachamama

pachamama New commenter

I have children reading independently, and gave them tasks if they should finish before others to gain their understanding. Then I would ask questions linked to the text. (Ihad year 1)
    With my little ones I always started with the front cover and discussed who the author, illustrator was. (Some couldn't remember) We looked at the title and discussed what we thought the book was about.
    Then I might show them some 'tricky' words, or go over some sounds and words that the book contains. (sh, ch, igh etc) I always did a book walk through - looking at pictures to see what is happening asking questions to see if they could make predictions.
    It is hard when the books are shorter and the children seem to whizz through them, but it depends how many in a group. (I had 6 different ability groups and only 21 children)
    Tasks could be write down or using magnetic boards make some 'sh' words.
    I found the lancs guided reading assessment sheets really helpful. They start at foundation stage and go up to level 5. They have each of the AFL 1-7 (I think) Great to get a quick overview of L.O covered.

7. dancinginthecity

These responses have been interesting and helpful. I always feel a bit cheeky when I keep commenting on my own topics as I'm aware it bumps mine up and others slip down. So with that in mind, thank you in advance for any more replies. I'll keep following the thread even though I might not comment on it again : )

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Whereas I hate it when people don't reply to their threads. It makes me think they can't be bothered to respond to what they have asked or don't care about the answers.

9. TEACHER16
    Our LEA organised the course and invited and organised Dee to speak. It was a 2 day course at a local course/meeting centre and she spoke to 40 or 50 people each day.

10. I have also been using the Read Write Inc paired reading strategy since September, and my guided reading sessions have never been so good before.
    The Read Write Inc books are good as they use the GPCs the children have been taught in phonics sessions, so there should be nothing in the books that they can't work out. However, I don't see why the strategy could not be used with any guided reading books.
    I read with the children 3 times a week, but only for about 15mins each time. The first day, we look at all the vocab that will be in the book and I give them a book intro - make them desperate to read the story, and also prepare them so there shouldn't be anything in the book that is really beyond them. Depending on how quickly we get on, they might read the book on day 1, or we might leave it for the next day.
    The second day the children read the book in pairs, with one being the "teacher", using the lolly stick to point to what they want their partner to read, and also prompting their partner when he/ she gets stuck with suggestions to sound it out etc, and also giving praise to their partner. This took a bit of work on my part to train them into the role - but they love it! They swap roles each page. When they get to the end of the book, they know to start from the beginning again immediately, but swapping over which page they're reading, without shouting to me that they have finished. Meanwhile, I am free to listen to children reading to each other, chipping in where necessary etc. I love this approach because every single child is actually doing something during the guided reading session, rather than looking out of the window waiting for their turn, or gabbling quickly away to themselves, thinking they can skip over bits without anyone noticing.
    On the final day, the children re-read the book, and then I ask them some comprehension type questions from each page - either as a group, or to tell their partner the answer.
    I don't get the children to read the book more than twice in the week. If we've already read it twice before the third day, I'll usually get them to write a sentence that they have read in the book earlier in the week, or something like that.
    The next week, we have a new book, and they all swap partners (my choice of who goes with who). It's great!

11. I was wondering how long people get allocated for Guided Reading sessions and how many times per week? We get 3 x 20 min sessions in Key Stage Two, but by the time that I have got all of my groups sorted out eg one group pre-reading, one group doing their GR journal follow up task, one group ready to read with me, one group free reading in the book corner and another group with a TA or reading a specific genre ie poetry or comics - I then have 15 mins left to try and listen to my own group of 6 children read and to question them about the text in a meaningful way - it is just too rushed and I wish I had more time. Also, if there are other things happening during the school day it is always the GR which ends up not happening. As an NQT, I would just be interested to know how long other schools devote to GR?

12. sarbon

sarbon New commenter

I'm an NQT in year 4, and I do GR every day for half an hour. I give groups either reading comprehensions, independent GR, reading one by one with me, reading one by one with my TA or an activity on word/work or book review. I change the short books every day and the more able readers keep a book til it's finished. I ask Qs about each few pages and get children to find evidence in the book. I also have a set of general questions to ask about the book/pages we've read.

13. I have 20 minute slots in the morning. Usually 5 per week, but at the moment we're swimming on Mondays and we're running up to SATS, so it's only 3 times per week. School policy means I have to work with each child for reading once a week, so the groups are HUGE at the moment - 11, 12 and 14! I'm looking forward to post-SATS GR!
    The independent pre-readers are given their tasks on a little printed and photocopied slip of paper. I put the title of the book, the task number (GR week number) and the AF, as well as describing the task. The children then only have to put the date, stick it in their reading journals and make a start. It does take a bit of time to type up and organise, but I hate being disturbed when I'm reading with a group.
    We don't give GR tasks for homework, so the task is based on the fact that I've sat and read the book, broken it down in to GR-sized chunks and planned each session for the half term. I know what my next GR session will focus on, so I can organise a linked-in task quite easily.
    It all starts to go wrong, of course, when someone slots in an extra singng practice, or there's something happening in school which disrupts everything else ...

14. By the way, I'm Y3,4,5,6. I try and avoid scheme books like the plague and use "real" books that the children are interested in and really engage with.
    I also use non-fiction texts (and fiction) linked to our topic, articles from newspapers, leaflets ....

15. dancinginthecity

This is another issue I have. I feel reasonably confident that I can band 'real books' to within a sublevel or two but at my school a child isn't judged to have achieved a sub level, say 1a, if they have not read '1a' books. So its easier to use scheme books for this reason because they are all levelled and this evidence is 'accepted' by SLT whereas some evidence from lower level books is not, even though it might match the AF statement for that level. (I know this has its flaws as there are harder and easier books within a level and I wouldn't always agree with the publishers levels)
    So Elizabeth do you level every book/article/leaflet you use? or do you decide on a child's level by what they can do even if the text isn't at that level? Hope this makes sense, I know what i mean.
    BTW, thanks for your detailed responses

16. I decide on a child's level based on what they can do across a range of tasks, not just guided reading. We use APP, which I use to plan my GR sessions from and a sheet per level, which I highlight and annotate according to evidence of children being at that level.
    However, our tracking only shows chronological reading age from termly Salford tests, and a reading level for the end of year based on optional SATS or KS1/KS2 SATS.

17. imc

imc

We recently had an Ofsted subject survey inspection for English where guided reading sessions were praised as being well structured, methodical and well targetted. We have a 30 minute session every day. The class is split into 5 groups and each group works with the teacher for one day each week - this, depending on ability, objectives (APP based) and stage in a text may be reading in turn with a particular focus e.g. fluency, expression, authorial technique, character analaysis etc. These groups are set a task at the end of the session which they have to complete before their next session (group timetables are on display so they know when this will be). Each group also works with a teaching assistant onc per week, again with a specific focus which may vary from phonic work, supporting with the teacher directed task, or, if the task is complete, extending an objective with a new focus. Between adult guided sessions children will complete their given task, which may be pre-reading for a new objective or involve written responses in their guided reading journal. Once a task is complete, children follow their own individual reading where they again record their progress in a separate reading journal which they can also take home to share and have comments added by parents. On completion of an individual book, children complete a book review which covers aspects of character, plot etc.I suppose this is a mixture of group reading and independent since, when with an adult, children are reading together and when working on their own they are reading independently but with a clear focus AND a clear point of where to read up to. Because we plan independent tasks so that they should be complete and leave time for individual independent reading there are very few cases of children not being at the right point in the book for the session. They do need training to do the tasks which is why TAs have a group inbetween teacher sessions.

18. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I find GR a stress to get my head around. I currently have 6 reading groups and trying hard to find way that guided reading can be carried out in my class. I would like to have 30 minute slots every day where by I have a group a day and the rest busy working on reading tasks. Do you preread the children's book and then write a list of questions to ask the children?
    So to get my head around what everyone has said is it a good idea to have a group working with me, a group completing tasks on what they have read( do you normally cover all the previous chapters on the last chapter?) then a group working on activities where by they are reading the next set of pages which they will cover as homework. Is that basically what the normality is?
    Thankyou all for your detailed answers!!!

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That would be reasonably normal for what I've always done in upper KS2. It is a bit different in KS1.
    Goodness no! I've just asked questions as and when the come up in the reading. Though we have just bought a new scheme that has questions printed ready for us to use, not sure if this is good or bad yet.

20. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I have read a few chapters of each book to help me work out what activities are possible with each book. What planning on paper would you normally do?
    How do you display this time table (teachers thought process) to the rest of the class to train them up quickly?