1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens in the 3rd year?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by tmahmoud, Nov 9, 2011.

1. As yet another NQT wondering if I've made the right choice, I know that most people leave teaching in the first 2 years. So is there anyone out there in their 3or or 4th year teaching who can tell me what happens after year 2 that stops people leaving? why the big difference?

2. When I started teaching it seemed that most people left teaching between 4 and 5 years, hence why the salary jumped at that point......
    The pay gets better and you get better. Planning is easier, you've been kicking about in the system long enough to have a bank of lessons to fall back on. You're probably established in a school so the kids don't mess you about as much as when you were new......

3. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I'm currently in my second year and have absolutely no plans to leave any time soon. In fact I am introducing a new subject to the curriculum next year and am planning on making the school into a hub for that subject in the future.
    Already this year planning is easier, discipline is easier and I feel much more positive about my teaching this year, especially when I think back to how I would have done things last year.

4. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I hate teaching at the moment, second week in my first NQT role and stressed out. My main concerns are behaviour, I am lucky that planning and marking is not taking over my free time (mainly because I only work 4 days).
    I asked my colleague who is in her third year of teaching and she said that this is the first year she finally feels settled and that she understands everything that is going on around her. She also said this is the first year that she feels she has behaviour management nailed.
    I am trying to take comfort in this as at the moment I am hating teaching with a passion and dreading getting up every morning despite having loved my PGCE placements.

5. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I've completed 3 years now. I think you either end up coping...or you don't. Post-NQT you're dealing with a full timetable (with all the extra planning/marking), which can come as a bit of a shock, possibly even a tutor group depending on how the school works.
    It's a matter of having the strategies to deal with what's thrown at you - the behaviour, the paperwork and the general insanity of the school system. If you can't mentally sidestep most of the job, it will tear you apart.
    I suspect too many people take the job home with them, both mentally ("9x/Fr3 are ****ing *****") and physically (The marking).

6. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I regularly teach in my sleep. Quite often I wake myself up talking to a class!

7. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

So can relate to this!
    Back to original poster, it sounds as if you are unhappy in your current position. If you have completed two years, start looking around for other posts... a new school with new experiences may make all the difference!