1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens if...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by warrenkate, Sep 17, 2016.

1. warrenkate

warrenkate New commenter

Hi, I am looking at applying for jobs outside of teaching and am seeking advice about what happens if I don't get offered the position. Can I continue to work in my school or can the Head ask me to leave? Has anyone had experience of this sort of thing?

Thanks!

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you start to get interviews that it's very unlikely the head will release you to attend interviews for non-teaching positions.

3. warrenkate

warrenkate New commenter

Do I have to disclose what kind of job I'm applying for?

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes you do

If you really want out of teaching to look for other jobs then the easiest thing is to resign and then get looking properly.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm not sure I agree with this.
    Granted I have no personal experience, but know of two heads who have very happily allowed staff to apply outside teaching in the same way as those applying for posts in other schools. Though heads are not obliged to let you go to any interviews at all, teaching or otherwise, though most do.

No your head cannot ask you to leave because you are applying elsewhere.

Have you spoken to your head about your plans?

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

As a rule of thumb never tell your employer anything about your own personal situation that you don't need to, it will never be used for your benefit. As long as you do your job competently

If you get an interview or need a reference however you will have to say something, though could request if an interview was at the w/e. If your HT is not helpful, you could request a days leave without pay.

The long resignation period for teachers makes getting jobs outside of teaching while still teaching problematic, this is usually the biggest hurdle.

7. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You could always ask for interviews after 4pm, so they don't cut into school time. Non-teaching interviews are only going to be about 30-60 minutes, depending on what job you're going for.

Your head might not mind if you attend a couple of interviews, as people above say they might accept it if you offer to take unpaid leave, but if you want to attend lots of interviews they might get annoyed. But then the same must be true if someone has lots of unsuccessful interviews for teaching jobs.

I don't think it's fair to expect you to leave teaching with nothing to move on to, so I do think you should tell your HT (if they're a reasonable person) that you want to move on from teaching, and see if you can agree on paid or unpaid leave for interviews. Otherwise, state availability on job apps as being during half term etc.

To answer your original question - there's half a term's notice on other side (unless you're on a different contract, such as maternity cover), so your HT couldn't just ask you to leave because you've applied for other jobs.