1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens if you fail your NQT?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by KatiW, Apr 26, 2012.

1. I have filled in all my documentation - done everything required - my first term deadline is tomorrow as I am only part time. I told my HOD + mentor 2/3 weeks ago and yesterday she said she would look at my stuff in the evening (we were due to do it in the day but she was too busy). She announced this am that I have had not had eniough observations and is not happy dealing with it. The Head of NQT's has taken up a new position and there is nothing in her folder for me!
    What the hell do I do? I am gutted and ready to walk out I am so upset after putting so much work in. I have worked so hard on this. If I fail that's it as far as I understand?
    Career over before it's begun. Ther is no way the school is going to admit it's wrong.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

YOU CAN'T FAIL YOUR FIRST TERM (or your second for that matter) Only the third and final term counts as a pass/fail.
    Now breathe, smile and wait for them to get their act together. You'll be fine I'm sure xx

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Absolutely.
    Unless you're a danger to the kids (very unlikely!), the only options are "on target to pass" and "not on target to pass".
    If they tick the second box ("not on target"), then the onus is very much on the school to put in support to make sure that is turned around.

4. Really? I thought it was a pass or fail for each term. That makes me feel a bit better - you obviously saw the panic I have been in.
    Still need someone to read all my evidence by tomorrow though!

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Contact the named person at your Local Authority to raise any concerns statutory induction is a set formal process and it looks like your school does not have a handle on it. Best get it sorted early in induction before it is too late.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The third Induction term is the only one that matters.
    You can get 'on target to meet the standards at the end of Induction' in terms 1&2 and still get a Fail overall if you don't meet all the standards by the end.
    You can get 'not making satisfactory progress towards meeting the standards' in terms 1 and/or 2 and get an overall Pass if you manage to meet them by the end of term 3.
    How many observations have you had in your first p/t Induction term? They only need to have observed you twice, once in the Autumn term and once in the Spring term.
    They cannot delay submitting your term 1 paperwork to the LA. Find out what they are planning to do and get in touch with your Union if it doesn't involve getting the Induction paperwork off to the LA soon! Hold onto all the evidence that you have, including notes on any feedback from observations.
    It would better for you if you (or your Union) can convince the school to complete and submit the paperwork. If you had to appeal to the LA and draw criticism on the school for failing to follow protocols, it could make relationships at school difficult and the LA could decide that Induction is back to square one.

7. Had you been made aware, at any point during the term, that you were not on course to be judged as "on track"? The school should put in place intervention some time before you get to the end of your term such that you have an opportunity to try and rectify any issues. If the school has not put this support in place, then they are not doing their duty.

If it is a case of having done everything asked of you, then I find it strange that they want to grade you as making "unsatisfactory progress".

The only stage at which it is "career over" is if you fail overall after term 3. This could be based on teaching practice, lack of evidence to support your standards etc.

If I were you, I'd make sure I have evidence of any communication with the mentor/NQT coordinator that might suggest that you are on track. Anything that shows that you are putting in the effort and doing your part, but they are not (if this is the case).

I know what it is like to have a mentor who is extremely busy - it is difficult. I've had to learn to be very proactive - even demanding at times - to make sure things are kept on top of.

Best regards!

8. As advised above, get in contact with the LA adviser. Also read through the statutory guidelines which you can find here:
    https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/DCSF-00364-2008.pdf
    At assessment points 1 and 2 (terms 1 and 2) only your progress towards meeting the standards is reported and you do not pass or fail each term. Only in term 3 is a pass/fail recommendation made and the school must be proactive and let you know as soon as possible if they think your progress is not going to let you meet the standards.
    The Sage

9. It is neither here nor there but I just wonder how it is possible for anyone to complete 2 of the 3 terms of induction, presumably after some sort of teacher training, and not know even the most basic facts about it....

10. Just a word of caution - tread very carefully around school politics. I fell foul of them and was amazed at the lengths people will go to. I was lucky as I had already decided to leave the profession - in fact I think that's what kicked it all off. I found my assessor changed from a popular senior teacher to the AP in charge of training and when I went in to my final review meeting for term 1 I was told that my observed lesson had gone fine but my evidence was unsatisfactory (in spite of the fact that it had all been signed off by my mentor and other NQTs had used identical evidence). I did raise it with the LEA, after agreeing to with my mentor.

After the "investigation" I was told that the school maintained there had been consistent problems with my teaching and that I had been aware of the likely outcome of my review meeting for some time. It ended up being my (NQT) word against the AP's and no prizes for guessing the easy route out of that one. Since then ex-colleagues have kept there distance / not responded to any communication.

It doesn't bother me all that much now as I am out of the profession now and earning a lot more for a lot less unpleasantness but life in the NQT year is pretty tough even with support so I'd be very careful with taking an adversarial approach if you wish to remain in the profession. If you do then, like a previous poster said, make sure you keep as much evidence as possible.

Good luck - teaching is tough enough without *** making it harder for you. When you come through it, you'll be in a great position to mentor and advise others. I remember reading that Phil Beadle barely scraped through his NQT and look where he is now!