1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens if you don't meet performance management targets?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bromage, May 25, 2008.

1. Could I suggest that if PM is being run so badly in your school you get your unions involved!

2. Ours are now linked to payrise.

3. I could get them involved. I have been asked for evidence which I am keeping in a file. Would it be too late to get union in if they said in october I wasn't going up?

4. Having come from a business background I must say it's very amusing seeing schools 'playing' at business. The application of business strategies i.e. targets relating to 'performance' is completely inappropriate in the case of schools. Why? Because children are not inputs like one would have in business. They don't always perform as one would expect. If anything, the targets should be aims-based and not outcomes-based. Then we would all be meeting them.

5. gepocock

gepocock New commenter

Am thhinking of involving union if targets are refused, for various reasons

6. You all should.

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Yikes!! 3-YEAR timeslip on this thread. How does this happen? Do people go trawling for threads to resurrect?

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My last set of Performance Management objectives were dictated to me following a voluntary subject review, some of whose findings I had disputed in writing. All three of my objectives were based on the review and were drafted by a member of SLT- they were most definitely not negotiated. I was told that after a review this was 'policy', so I asked to see the printed policy. After a pause, they said what they actually meant was 'practice'. They left them unchanged, I considered them impossible to achieve, but I wasn't allowed to amend them and was instructed to sign them within 24 hours. The only thing I put my signature to within 24 hour was my resignation, as I wasn't going to be set up for the drop like that by anyone.

Performance Management isn't a nice fluffy meaningless paper exercise for everyone. In some places it's used by SLT as a blunt instrument to rid the school of perceived dissenters. The OP is right to be concerned, but in their case will probably remain untouched.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

3 year time lag eh? Ho hum. Doesn't change my case. I wonder what happened to the OP?

10. I've worked with people who didn't meet their targets and got rewarded with a TLR [​IMG]. Baffling.

11. Ohh, a thread written for me! I have previously had good/postive PM reviews (5 years worth) and this year having changed PM reviwer, I have only 'partially met' ALL my objectives. I hold a TLR, am on threshold so this does really impact me.
    I'm not sure the extend to which it impacts me though. Does this mean that there is no chance for consideration of being moved up the scale as technically I haven't 'not' met them?
    BTW, I challenged the PM reviewer's write up, wrote my PM objectives for next year according to what I think I need based on what THEY tell me I'm apparantly NOT doing, and so I am nearly at the point of letting it lie so that in Sept when new targets are written, I can challenge them then.
    Also, does anyone know where I can find more information regarding PN online?
    Advice much welcomed!