1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens if you don't meet performance management targets?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bromage, May 25, 2008.

1. absolutely nothing, pointless paper exercise laughed at my most.

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

nothing at all 'happens'. The targets are merely carried over onto the next year. The whole thing is a farce. Unless you are the HT's favourite pet teacher, in which case you will get a pay rise.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I have never yet met my performance target.

Nothing at all happens.

The next year they set an equally ridiculous target and the same thing happens again.

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Just thought I'd throw a spanner in the works and please feel free to correct me...

We spent a staff meeting going through the new structure for performance management this year and one of the elements was about making us more accountable. It said that teachers who do not meet their targets will not get their pay rise in september. Has anyone else been told this? Thats why our head gave us very achieveable targets this year.

5. I have achieved the other two, and there is evidence of what I have done towards the one I didn't get. If I don't get a pay rise I don't know what I'll do-I won't be able to pay my mortgage for a start as it goes up later this year.

6. Ours are linked to payrise in September.

HT has told us that if we don't achieve them, we don't get the rise.

She has just recently given herself several points for exceptional performance, allegedly.

7. Oh dear, could be taking a weekend job at asda aswell then! It isn't looking good.

8. If this comes into effect I 'll be leaving the british education system then

9. Ours are linked to getting payrise.
    One of my colleagues didn't achieve one of her targets last year and didn't get pay rise (but she is above threshold, so I think that's different isn't it? It's not necessarily one point per year after threshold is it?).
    I'm certainly not going to agree to any targets which I think there's a chance I might not be able to meet during my performance management review meeting.

10. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

11. I wasn't informed of link to pay in any meetings at all.Feel a tiny bit sick-should be on M3 in september. I will certainly not agree to anything but very easy targets next year. Didn't even agree them til december (1st meeting) and they are based on sats taken in may.

12. we set our own (2 only)and make them very achieveable (things we will be doing anyway - ie improve reading ages).

we also refused to agree to the PM policy that the head introduced, and wrote as a body to the govs with the reasons why.

they should not be able to be held over you like this, it is so wrong :O(

13. It is absolutely wrong.

When our line managers showed the HT our targets, she dismissed them and asked for them to be made more difficult.

Not much money in budget, need I say more?

14. We had to have 3 targets, no reviews, no observations,nothing. If I don't move up I will definitely be appealing as the process has not been carried out properly.

15. We have three targets, an observation for each target.

16. Myschool would be very stupid to hold anyone back due to budget/link to targets, they can't recruit staff well anyway-2 applicants for last 2 jobs advertised. Several people would leave if held back like that.

17. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

We have performance management based observations.

Mine were all with the same group, which has nothing to do with my target.

If they try to tell me that I've not met the target, I shall ask how they know!

18. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We have a very limited budget. Obviously the priority must be the HT's pay rise, which happens EVERY year. Next will be the Pet Teacher's pay rise, which also happens every year. Anyone else will be lucky, which is why we all tear up our Performance Management Bit of Useless Paper as soon as we receive them.

19. Normally in public sector offices you find that if targets are not reached, targets are simply lowered.

Hence the decline of standards all across board.

20. I thought that if you were on UPS or AST or basically anything other than MPS your pay increase could be dependent upon your PM.