1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens if you are put on "Capability Proceedings" ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pastychucker, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Anyone know the procedure or where I could find out information?

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

In reality, precious little I discovered.

Then when the procedings are finished, they don't bother to tell you, so you think your neck is on the block for 18 months longer than it was.

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

From what I have gathered though different schools approach this very differently (I suppose that isn't a surprise.) Some schools are very quick to jump straight to formal procedings (unfairly a lot of the time.)
    Do involve your union - mine weren't very helpful to be honest and I had to make a decision about matters myself which worked out for me OK in the end. From what I can gather most union reps seem to start off in quite a militant style but it all seems to end in compromise agreements.
    I hope you're asking for someone else, if it's you PM me if I can help at all. x

5. Thank you badger girl x

6. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Ive just been looking at this- visit the teachersupport network.
    I hope you aren't feeling as bad a I do.

7. I think it depends a lot on the circumstances.
    If the head has been there a while, they may genuinely feel that capability offers support to a colleague who is not reaching targets. (Rose tinted version? Maybe)
    If the head has recently arrived they may be using capability to force out anyone whose face doesn't fit.
    I worked in a school in which a new head came in and put all the staff over a certain age on capability. Most left. Even if you beat it, it's very hard to continue in a school after that.
    There is life after capability though, it is possible to learn from it and move on.

8. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I'm becoming convinced this is suggested on the NPQH course, it's happening so often.

9. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

What a frankly ridiculous thing to suggest.
    More likely new Heads to a school might find that some long established staff have become complacement and more concerned about their own needs rather than the children's. After a few gentle warnings are ignored, capability they feel is the only option.
    Yes there are heads that bully staff. Yes there are staff that display incompetent behaviour. There needs to be a mechanism to rid schools of both.

10. Capability has to be run in conjunction with HR at the LA unless you are an academy. There will be a meeting where up to three targets are set with clear criteria. In our LA you have a term to meet them- in others it may be different. At the end there should be a meeting to either take you off, continue (in exceptional circumstances e.g. lengthy absence during time) or take it to the next level which could ultimately result in dismissal. Talk to your union NOW.