1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens if I don't pay my GTC fee?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by hollirog, Aug 6, 2011.

1. I completed my PGCE this year, and have not yet secured a post for September - so will be doing supply for a little while. I only recently found out that I have to pay in order to be fully registered with the GTC. I know it's due to be shut down, and that people are still being asked to pay - but I also heard that many people are not signing the direct debit form.

I do not agree that we should have to pay in order to do our jobs - but what will happen if I don't pay? Will I be unable to work?
    Thanks!

2. I completed my PGCE this year, and have not yet secured a post for September - so will be doing supply for a little while. I only recently found out that I have to pay in order to be fully registered with the GTC. I know it's due to be shut down, and that people are still being asked to pay - but I also heard that many people are not signing the direct debit form.

I do not agree that we should have to pay in order to do our jobs - but what will happen if I don't pay? Will I be unable to work?
    Thanks!

3. Hi
    I'm not sure about the ins and outs, but essentially I guess you won't be able to work - regardless of whether others are/are not signing their direct debits. Until it is officially closed down and is completely disbanded, then it is still an organisation that you have to be a part of.
    Teaching is not the only profession to do this - doctors have to pay far more than we do to the General Medical Council, dentists have to do the same with the General Dental Council, anyone in finance has to with the FSA I believe. It is part of being in a 'profession' I guess.
    Others may be able to put me right if I'm wrong though.

4. if you don't sign the direct debit then your employer will be ordered to take the £36 directly from your pay around June time.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

In order to be employed you must prove to the head that you are a paid, registered member of the GTCE.
    Those already in employment subsequently refusing to pay are in a different position - they already have their job.
    If you want to get a job, I'd pay if I were you.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

There is no formal announcement that the GTC will cease to exist - It may well be reinvented indeed so that staff who work for it can be quashed etc. It's a small price to pay for legal registration and a rubbish magazine on your profession and you can get tax relief on it. If you don't register - in short - it is unlikely that anyone will employ you as safe recruiting by employers, including supply agencies, does involve checking you are a registered teacher with the general conncil.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You need to be registered in order to be legally employed as a teacher in State 5-16 schools, whether employed by an LA/ school or private agency.
    If paid by an LA (even only for one day of teaching in a school year, you get an extra £30 added to your pay. You claim tax relief on the £36 you pay to the GTC and the end result is a virtually free membership.
    If solely employed by an agency, you will not get the extra allowance in pay but can still claim tax relief on the £36 you hand over. You download a tax relief form from the GTC website, complete it and send it to your tax office. As most teachers pay 20% tax, they save £7-20 in tax (or get a rebate of that amount after the tax year if they didn't claim the relief during the tax year in question.)

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The GTC will probably disband next year but it needs an Act of Parliament first. It will almost certainly be replaced by another similar organisation. It will rise from the ashes with a new name, a new fee and possible elimination of the extra allowance to LA paid teachers!

9. Well, thank you everybody for all the information - I'm much clearer on it now!

Off to sign the DD form I go... :)

Thanks again.

10. After all the whinging and whining from teachers about paying the £36 fee, it would be ironic if the government did introduce a new slimmed down organisation, which still has a fee, but teachers no longer get most of the fee back in their salary and so end up paying more.

11. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Because of that fact alone, I've never understood the moaning about the cost of registering.

12. rebel75

rebel75 New commenter

spider kin is right, I cancelled my DD this year as I was waiting to see what the outcome of the 'disbanding' was going to be... in the end the £36 was deducted from my salary by the LA during the summer.

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I have never filled in the DD as I object in principle to the requirement to join GTC. They do indeed take it directly from your salary. Fortunately some counties make an extra payment in the summer term to cover the cost.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

All Local Authorities currently make the extra payment to salaries of LA paid teachers.
    However, as explained earlier, the extra payment is taxed and has NI deducted.The teacher should be claiming tax relief on the £36-50 paid to the GTC (whether paid by DD or by salary deduction). That tax relief makes membership virtually free.
    The extra pay is made by the LA whether or not you are paying the fee by DD or are playing 'hardball' over the GTC fee.
    It's curious why so many are antagonistic to something that costs them hardly anything.
    The GTC will be replaced by another organisation and you an bet your bottom dollar that the government funded extra pay (administered by the LA) will cease and not be replaced. It could be argued that the hostile reaction to a basically free membership has hastened the demise of the organisation and will end up costing us all money in the future.
    Agency supply teachers are the only group who can be excused for being anti-GTC as they don't get the extra pay that the rest of us receive and can only claim back tax relief ( £7-30). We'll all be in that position when the new organisation rises from the ashes of the GTC and this government sees no need to offer the extra pay.

15. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

If enough teachers (say 30% or more) simply refuse to pay, no system that requires teachers to fund it will work.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It will if it has the right (as the GTC does) to deduct the fee from salaries.

17. Morninglover

Given the atomization of the school system (Academies, 'Free' Schools etc.) this won't be so easy...

18. Morninglover

Given the number of Academies, those subject to the GTC will be diminishing day-to-day...

19. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Not really sure why everyone is so sure that a new organisation will arrive in its place. The key role of the GTC of striking off teachers has already been offloaded to a new organisation, at least on paper ready for 2011. There is no hint of teachers being asked to pay for it.

20. I paid for the GTC sub for about 2 years, then stopped after that because I felt it was a complete waste of money. Still managed to get around teaching, never had any checks or problems, just some threatening letters from the GTC saying I wasn't allowed to teach. Ignored them all.