1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens if I don't do my NQT year?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ellie_rose, Jun 13, 2011.

1. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

I am posting to get some advice on the NQT induction year. I am coming to the end of my PGCE now and after a terrible final placement, I have become a little bit disillusioned with teaching and am not sure I even want to go into the profession anymore. I have been applying for jobs and constantly rejected after interview for a candidate who is "just a little bit more experienced" or internal. I honestly feel sometimes like giving up. I am counting down the days until my final placement ends because I'm not enjoying it. I loved all my other placements but right now I'm just not feeling the way I used to. My question is: what are the consequences of not doing my NQT year after PGCE and leaving the profession (maybe temporarily?) Would I still have QTS and would my PGCE stay valid? Thanks for any advice

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

QTS is awarded once you have passed the ITT programme and is a permanent qualification continued registration as a teacher will require the passing of an induction year. If you don't start teaching there is no limit to when it can be completed. The only time restriction is the 16 month rule which limits the amount of temporary, non induction supply work you can do without seeking specific permission to continue with supply work.
    Take time to consider your options - too many teachers do rush into induction after ITT and the survival rates in the classroom reflect a rapid burn out. While at university use the careers service to get individual guidance - there are many jobs apart from teaching involving work with children.

3. There are no conbsequences for your QTS if you do not start induction immediately. They will remain valid, but clearly it is to your advantage to get a post as soon as possible - difficult I know, but keep plugging away and things will eventually fall for you.
    James