1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens if I don't complete my nqt year?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shabpop, May 15, 2012.

1. What happens if I don't complete my nqt year, within the given time scale?

I qualified july 2011, and have struggled finding a full time post. I have however been doing supply since September and am worried what will happen if I'm don't find a job by december! What happens if you can't find a job in that 16th month period do I have to stay home, jobless? Or can I stay on supply? if so how long before the spy agency turns around and says we can only offer you ta work!

Any insight would be really helpful.

2. What happens if I don't complete my nqt year, within the given time scale?

I qualified july 2011, and have struggled finding a full time post. I have however been doing supply since September and am worried what will happen if I'm don't find a job by december! What happens if you can't find a job in that 16th month period do I have to stay home, jobless? Or can I stay on supply? if so how long before the spy agency turns around and says we can only offer you ta work!

Any insight would be really helpful.

3. Once you have qualified you can do supply for 16 months and then apply for an extension from each local authority that you work in for 1 year. You need to think about doing this around October half term if your time runs out in December. When this time has run out, you can no longer do supply work, you can only take on teaching posts that will offer you induction. There isn't a limit on how long you have to complete induction, but it is something that is better completed than hanging over you. The 5 year limit to start induction is coming into force in September, but I think it is still to be confirmed about if this will apply to those who have already qualified.
    Hope that answers your questions.