1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens at weight loss groups?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lucyrose50, Aug 6, 2012.

1. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I've been trying (and failing miserably) to lose weight for a while and as a last resort
    I'm wondering about maybe joining a weight loss group, but I'm not
    really sure what actually happens at the meetings and whether it would
    do me any good. I don't want to waste my money if it's not going to
    help. Ideally I want to lose up to about 4 stones, but any loss would be good.

The difficulty is that my weight problems are directly related to
    some medical conditions that I have and I already eat a very healthy
    diet which averages around 1500-1700 calories a day (it's not just me
    saying that - I saw a dietician who said that my diet is healthy and
    that she couldn't really suggest any changes to make). Despite this, I'm
    still putting on weight so I don't know what else I can do, short of
    just not eating anything at all! I've already tried exercising more - I went to an exercise class, swam
    and went in the gym every single weekday for 3 months and it made
    absolutely no difference to my weight or size, so that's clearly not the
    solution. My doctor knows about my weight problems and says
    there's nothing he can do - I suspect very much that he thinks I'm not
    telling him the truth about my diet, but I really am!
    I have a feeling that weight loss groups would be more useful for people who either aren't sure what food is healthy or need help figuring out how to incorporate a healthy diet into their life, and this doesn't really apply to me, but I may be wrong about this. I'm willing to give anything a try!

2. Hi I think Slimming World is fab (it worked well for me I lost just over 5 stone in about 9/10 months)
    My sister has struggled with her weight and has conditions which make keep fit classes really hard for her and gaining weight easier for her body. She is doing well at SW which does not count calories in the same way so it might help.
    Group sessions helped me stay on track and share good ideas etc and can be really motivating.
    Good luck [​IMG] It's about £10 to join and £5/week you can do it online but I quite liked going to group sessions.

3. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

Hi, you asked what happens at weight loss groups... at Weight Watchers you join and are weighed. You can join on-line or at least print out a money off voucher. Then you are weighed and the group leader talks to you about you etc and sets a points value on the amount you can eat each day. No foods are banned but working out how much you eat is important. You are given a 5% and 10% weight loss goal and you are encouraged to lose weight slowly so that you train yourself to eat the right amounts of foods and keep the weight off. After you are weighed, you can leave or stay. If you stay you are given helpful tips to manage different situations e.g. Going out for the day/ going for a meal and so on. You are given booklets with information about how to plan your meals and treats etc... the group leader is there to answer any questions you have. Oh and you can buy the Weight Watchers snacks/ foods/ magazine and recipe books if you wish to. There might be a raffle where you can win vouchers to spend on the products... that is basically how it goes. Some leaders will bake a sample dish and everyone tastes it. Six years ago I joined WW and lost loads of weight becoming a gold member. After a lot of family trauma and stopping smoking I have just started to go again. (Lots of weight gained!) I just find it keeps me on track because it is so easy to eat when under stress, I make lots of excuses, eat the wrong food and eat too much of it!!! I will even eat far too much healthy food if I don't work out how much I am eating. The new Pro-point system is very good... I haven't missed end of term meals, family christenings and weekly family treats and I am still losing weight or some weeks I just don't gain weight! Hope this helps! Good Luck in what you decide to do.

4. lucyrose50

Thanks everyone for your comments, you've all been really helpful. I may give it a go, I'm just worried that since I already eat very healthily I'm going to end up being the person who hasn't lost any weight every week. I'd find that even more disheartening and frustrating than I'm finding things now! But I suppose it's worth a try, if it doesn't work then at least I've given it a go.

5. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

That was always my problem lucyRose and i did find it really irritating when ladies were telling me they had lost 7lb in a week and when i asked how they would say that they had just cut out choc and crisps ! argg I never ate them anyway. I am finding an online weightwatcher membership much better as it allows me to track my foods, follow their plan and ask for help on the forum if i want it. It suits my rather control freaky nature and the fact that i am nearly always logged into the net somewhere. A lot of people here are using MyFitnessPal which is a free calorie counting type site and they are getting good results too. Read the Slimming for Summer thread. and come and join in if you havent already.

6. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

Some years ago I saw a dietician, also with problems losing weight despite a healthy diet. She recommended keeping a food diary for a week or two, then looking at it carefully and trying to identify things I could swap with lower calories, or things I could change. I found it really helpful and it helped me to lose weight.
    More recently, after health issues, I had a lot more weight to lose and I have been doing the Dukan diet. It's one of the high protein, low fat, no carbs diets and it is either for you or not, but I have found it extremely successful with fairly rapid and consistent weight loss. You can research it online and it's very easy to follow.

7. lucyrose50

I do already eat a pretty low carb diet, as I have problems with my blood sugar and carbs send it haywire, but I'm also vegetarian so a lot of the low/no carb diets really don't work for me as I get a lot of my protein from beans/pulses etc which are also quite high in carbs. I basically avoid starchy carbs like bread & pasta, but I wouldn't be able to cut out carbs altogether without eating an extremely monotonous diet.
    I do like the idea of keeping a food diary, I have tried to do this in the past but I kept forgetting to write things down so it wasn't very effective! I may try this again.
    PlymouthMaid - I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this!

8. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

Hi Lucyrose - just to tell you that if you didn't lose weight or not as quickly as others - you wouldn't be on your own! My first ever week at weigh-in and I put on a pound! I had followed all the meals etc., felt like I had lost weight... the problem I found was drinking tea and coffee. I hadn't counted it. (The milk I mean!) Even now I can go and there is no weight loss but I have discovered that sometimes I am eating too much... even though it is healthy food or because of exercise it doesn't register that week. It also changes with age... when I was younger it was easier. If I am very active, not necessarily proper exercise...cleaning, shopping, ironing... the weight drops off. It really depends on you - you have to look carefully at how much you are eating and how active you are. Swapping foods for less fat/ less sugar foods/ keeping a diary as suggested by other posters is a really good idea. Hope this helps!