1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what happens at the end of the appraisal cycle?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by forest-lover, Sep 9, 2019.

1. forest-lover

forest-lover New commenter

So I want to know what happens at the end of the appraisal cycle?

Last year my first appraisal meeting was around October I think, and targets were set. Some time in the middle of the year they were reviewed, let's say around Feb.
    Then, in June it was the final appraisal meeting. My appraiser is not the Head or the Deputy. Bottom line is that my appraiser said that I exceeding my targets and recommended that I moved up on the pay scale. I signed and the meeting was over. I was expecting that the head would then arrange a meeting with each staff member to say if you move up the pay scale, maybe a full point or half a point or don't move up at all. But nothing happened.
    Did I miss something? Should I initiate this meeting with the head?
    Also, I thought that this sort of pay increase (or freeze) would happen now in September. But nothing has been said or no individual meetings with teachers held??

* I don't think there is a pay policy in the school.

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Any decisions regarding pay have to be approved by the Governing body. This usually happens in the Autumn term. Any changes to pay are backdated to September.

If you are unsuccessful in moving up the pay scale you will be informed in writing and have the chance to appeal the decision.

strawbs likes this.
  3. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Hopefully you will also be receiving a National Award later this term., which will also be backdated to September. The speed at which people receive their pay awards can be quite quick. these days. For those who are long in the tooth on this forum will be able to tell about waiting six months for a National Pay Award.,

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

If there is an in school union rep you could have a word with them about the non-existent pay policy. I imagine the situation is as @ScienceGuy describes; that's how it works in most schools.
    If no union rep, is there an experienced colleague you could ask?

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Have you spoken to your line manager? Or any colleagues? It is quite common for pay awards to be delayed until October (say) and backdated to September, and your colleagues might know about this.

If you school is working under STPCD, then it should have one. Have you asked for it?