1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens after things go wrong?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by florenceharrison, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Hi everyone.

I will be starting my Primary PGCE in September, and as a career changer, I am very interested in and somewhat concerned about the number of posts here regarding the negative consequences of poor observations and performance assessments.

From many of the posts I have read, it seems that when things go wrong, the impact of poor assessments on mental health, confidence, and indeed whole teaching careers is very serious. The number of people who are signed off with stress seems to be very high, and from what I read here, it seems that the cause is frequently bullying.

For those of you who have gone through this, I was wondering if you have been blighted when you finally pluck up the courage to move to a different school? Have you struggled to find employment elsewhere? Does it follow you throughout your career? Has anyone here moved on positively after being victimised?

And for those of you involved in recruitment, do you feel that your choices are influenced when a person has been the victim of bullying?

I would be very interested to hear your views.

2. Hi
    I know that from the forums it can seem that everyone is bullied, harrassed, stressed etc... but you need to remember that people don't need the forum support when things are going well!
    Teaching is a stressful job and the training does take over your life while you are on placements - but it is also an extremely rewarding career. I had an awful final placement and it really knocked my confidence. I wasn't sure that I could teach however I did supply in a fabulous school and that really helped me. I start my NQT in September and although I am a little scared, I'm also very excited too.
    Every school is different, there are good teachers and bad, good mentors and bad and good support from uni (or not). The important thing is to stick at it, respond to advice and believe in yourself.
    I worried that a poor reference from my final placement would scupper my job chances but thankfully it has not been so. Fingers crossed for September :)

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This doesn't sound like a very positive way to start your teaching career. You should be thinking about all the teaching and learning that will go on in your classroom and how exciting it is going to be (for you and the children).

The chances of things going disastrously wrong are very small, but it does happen. I would suggest getting out as soon as you can, should things begin to be difficult. Don't wait until they are terrible and don't try to change things, it won't happen. Just get out fast.

But the chances are it won't ever happen to you and you will go on to have a very successful career, enjoying it immensely.