1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happens after PGCE if you don't want to work full time?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Phuketmark, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Phuketmark

Phuketmark New commenter

I am on the PGCE course and am in receipt of a bursary for my chosen subject.
    As I understand it, the normal process is to do the PGCE so that you are awarded QTS, get a job and do a year as an NQT and then that is it, though some schools may need another year as an RQT

Assuming that I pass this PGCE year, I would like to know if it would be possible to work part-time in my NQT year. Are there restrictions on what constitutes part-time?
    Is there a time-frame in which I have to complete 3 terms as an NQT?

What I don't want to do is find that I have to pay the bursary back, or even worse, lose the QTS.

Thank you in advance

2. Grefintec

Grefintec New commenter

Hi
    I completed my NQT induction Year part time. You do the part time equivalent of one year eg if you work 0.5FT the NQT induction period will take two years. I did 0.71FT and completed in four terms.

I did not lose my bursary (for secondary biology) and it does not affect QTS

3. Grefintec

Grefintec New commenter

Schools don’t require a RQT, that is just what the year after NQT year is called. There is no formal assessment/observation requirements other than what is normal practise in your school.

4. Phuketmark

Phuketmark New commenter

Thank you so much for your replies.