1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What happened to the traffic yesterday?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Apr 23, 2011.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Against my better judgement we drove from Brum down to South wales yedterday. Expecting an horrendous trip (we always avoid the roads on Bank Holidays) we set out in plenty of time only to find the motorways empty! Even the M4 had less traffic than normal. It was the same coming home later that day as well!

2. My husband found the same today, he drove from near Bham (we love in Worcs) to Cardiff for the football match. The roads were surprisingly quiet.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Round here, they were all stuck in Morrison's Car Park, it was gridlocked and war broke out with cars trying to enter the petrol station jammed together like sardines. No-one ever made it as far as the motorway!

4. Ha ha we live in Worcs!

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Very little traffic to talk about either yesterday or today here.

VERY STRANGE!

6. Same here. I went to the White Rose Centre which requires a trip on a usually-clotted dual carriageway and a bit of the M621. I think I only had to use my brakes at the traffic lights. Straight through.

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I was the solitary car on a northbound stretch of the M1 this evening. The same could not be said of the A30 this morning. But even the M5 was pretty quiet. Most odd.

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

The supermarket was busy but otherwise the traffic is gone.
    I woke two days running to a kind of silence we only usually get on late Christmas Eve or early Christmas morning.

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

It is because our wonderful government is making sure we are all in this together ....

... i.e. skint.

10. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

Most of the people in the supermarket were buying booze.
    There will be some awesome barbecues next weekend. And sore heads

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

should have tried my local tescos......it was like paddys market!

12. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

It must have all been in the south! We're at my in-laws' house in Cardiff at the moment, sister-in-law left yesterday to drive back home to Plymouth and it took her nearly 6 hours!

13. We were bemused by the lack of traffic.
    We drove into the Forest of Dean to view a house - usually a massive tourist trap on BHs.... no-one!
    We got back home and still saw so very very few cars.... weird!
    Mind you Climber then went to the supermarket and found it stripped of all comestibles. So perhaps the locusts preferred the shops and staying home!

14. They were all on the North Norfolk coast- have never seen it so busy!!!

15. It only took us 2 hours to get back form London to Cheshire yesterday. Very quiet on the roads! I think most people were already settled for the week-end!

16. You planning to move to the F of D, Pobble? It was The Home of the Hippies when I was a girl! Lots of brown rice short-lived communes. These communities always seemed to thrive better in California and Israel i.e. where it doesn't slash with rain for 345 days of the year.
    What is it with bank holidays and supermarkets? They're shut for 24 hours at the absolute longest round here, and most people have a freezer and/or enough space for cans and packets! No-one's going to starve. The country's not going to run out of food.

17. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

You must've been travelling fast! [​IMG]

18. they're all in 'pleasure boats' *AHEM COUGH GRUMBLE GRRR* on the sodding Thames, on the wrong side, going too fast, weaving about p**sed and getting in the way of those of us who use it 365 days per year, rain, ice or shine *grumble grumble*
    And washing down 13 year old kids as they don't realise how much wash they're creating. If I hadn't have spoken to one of them, they'd have probably pretty much filled that kid's boat up with water and got him in real trouble.
    GRUMBLE GRUMBLE

19. We live on the edge of it and are looking to buy now Climber is being made redundant! I worked there for a few years so we know it pretty well.
    The quaker community is still there, I think!

20. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Hopefully they've all had their fill and it will be quieter tomorrow ( somehow I doubt it tho')