1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What handwriting scheme do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dalian Daisy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Our Juniors use Cripps hand for spelling ( now I know it's meant to be a spelling thing but..!) We don't presently have anything we follow for KS1 and reception and are making up our own thing. We don't want to do cursive starting from the line as we think it'll be too much of an upheaval but need something cheap ( Around £100?) for R- Y2.
    Any ideas?

Also any ideas on how to generally improve handwriting- e.g. how often per week, certain books, pen licences?
    Ta!

2. [​IMG] we use Nelson on IWB a dick per yeargroup. Rec and Y1 letter formation, games words, Y2 joins with flicks - nice and we r happy with it. we use plain a4 paper and a4 plain books for all their work and line guides - will email you our lineguides if u like. kids are well trained in putting their own paperclips on and writing looks so much neater (well from a majority anyway).
    also once some can form letter correctly or write joined up - say u wont accept any work below their best - zoro tollerance - bin the work and once theyhad to do it again at lunch time they get the massage - i know it sound cruel but it worked and almost all got 3 marks on sats paper for handwriting so it paid off, good luck

3. leave your email

4. Wow, there is nothing like bullying children is there.
    Is it really necessary in a society where barely anything is handwritten!?
    Even so, in our school you would be forced out for binning childrens work like that. School should be about learning, not about perfect handwriting.

5. Oops! Given the glaring errors in this post, it seems you are far harder on the littlies than on yourself! [​IMG]

6. Too true, PFF. About 3/4 of children get 2 out of the 3 points for handwriting on SATs anyway. Only really spectacular or really shocking writing gets 3/1. I tell mine to produce their neatest work but it's not worth them getting stressed out because their handwriting isn't neat enough. Content is much more important and there's a danger you could put children off of writing if the focus is on handwriting so much. Some of my children would fall to pieces if their work was binned in front of them!!! And I'd certainly get an ear bashing from staff and parents!

7. Too true.
    We should be teaching children to write for the sheer joy of it. Not punish them by forcing an 'expected' handwriting style.

8. sorry to all above - but that how things are done n my school - not exactly my choice but was told must follow the rules so back off, we are not always free to follow our convictions and to keep a job must follow so there. i would much rather work at some "happier" schoolbut i have no choice
    and as to my writing errors - we r talking handwriting here not grammar or spelling

9. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

We use Penpals. It's okay. The main choice seems to be between that and Nelson. There's not much else.

We are fairly soft on handwriting. We have high standards but we don't go hardline. However, our neighbouring school, recently ofsted inspected, received good overall but got a real dressing down over their handwriting standards!

Never heard of that before!

10. Of course decent handwriting is still necessary!! I know technology is taking over more and more but good grief - the day we say children (or adults) don't have to write legibly and neatly is the day I will resign. * sighs deeply *

11. You have missd my point. If the handwriting is legible why should it be thrown in the bin for not meeting a teachers perceived standards?

12. No, that point is fair enough and I agree about that. Sorry if I have misinterpreted your comment but it did seem like you thought handwriting was unimportant! There is a big gap between legible and neat too isn't there? And, although I agree with others that content is most important and would not (other than in handwriting lessons) have an over emphasis on handwriting that took away from the focus of the lesson, I still believe it is important that children have pride in their handwriting and presentation and do have certain expectations. I also know of schools that have had the standards of presentation and handwriting damned by Ofsted.

13. Hey,
    We use penpals in Year 1 and 2. I made some pencils showing the joins which I display as we learn each join. This reminds the children which ones we know as some children with older brothers and sisters seem to attempt to join every letter before we learn them which results in some strange handwriting that I can never seem to read!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=290328108045
    These are the pencils I made. They follow the Year 1 penpals scheme.

14. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

'handwriting for windows' is useful.You can make anything you like in your own specified handwriting style.

15. We've been using penpals for the last few months. I've got a year 2/1 class who generally had poor handwriting - a lot got 1's for SATS and some 0's. But penpals has made a big difference and the children actually enjoy handwriting for some strange reason! I have quite the opposite approach to wired - I consider handwriting an area where there should be no consequence for mistakes. In fact, I couldn't care less how many mistakes the children make in their handwriting books because they are practicing! You aren't ever going to get it right first time, all I want the children to do is keep trying, and over time they do start forming letters correctly.

When I was doing my PGCE, I worked in a placement school where the year 6 teacher would rip up a piece of children's work in front of the rest of the class if she didn't think it was good enough. I've also heard of a headteacher who will rip display work off the walls if the work is considered too messy (and get this for irony - that school was rated 'outstanding' by Ofsted). I find this behaviour so cruel and unnecessary and would never stay at a school if this kind of behaviour towards children was desired. Our job is surely to nurture and encourage rather than bully and upset?

16. Hi everyone, Thanks for your replies, it got a bit heated there!!

Those who said you use Penpals- whch bit do you use? Know the whole package is pretty costly. Really need something for less than £100 that will give us a bit of structure.

Ta!

17. I must admit we do very little specific handwriting , we just interweave it during literacy lessons.
    This year i am going to try and do some more handwriting - id like to set children off with it whilst i do a guided reading. We dont follow a scheme or have money to buy one, so can anyone suggest a general idea of how to get started and what an average handwriting session might consist of?
    I have Y1/2 with a wide range of abilities, but was planning on modelling a letter or two on the carpet, then a few words using those letters then sending them to tables with books to practice independantly and when they have finished choosing a book to read. Our children are not used to formal sit down work (except during focus groups) as we work in a foundation based way.

18. Sorry but real life is contingent on legible handwriting. In industry,my boss immediately binned applicants with poorly styled handwriting as wellas those with circles instead of dots above i and j.
    If children are taught to form letters correctly in Foundation Stage, it is realy easy to develop an attractive cursive script in KS2. Allowing children to form and oriente letters wrongly makes it hard to correct later and makes joining impossible.
    Children need to be taught the relative sizes of capital letters and lower case, ascenders and decenders.

19. Our head has the scruffiest handwriting ive ever seen.
    Most application letters are typed these days.
    Children will learn to handwrite in whatever style they wish as they grow older, and awareness of letter sizing etc will come naturally even without explicit teaching - writing is EVERYWHERE and they will subconsciously take this onboard.
    Joining handwriting is not at all necessary. Its quicker in that it saves about 0.05 of a second when writing! I only join a few letters even now.

20. garem

garem New commenter

You could try looking at Christopher Jarman's scheme which is similar to Nelson. He is on the net and has a free downloadable font. It has been very useful for any typed worksheets I make and is also used by the school for any letters to parents. There are workbooks to cover all Primary handwriting stages too.
    I teach handwriting to children in years 3 & 4. They all prefer triangular pencils. Some pencil grips are better than others. I sometimes also use Yoropen's offset pencils for-left handers. I would suggest no longer than 15 - 20 minutes writing for littlies as they tend to hold their pencils too tightly which leads to hand strain. I hope this helps.