1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

What H&S Certificates are needed for DT

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by CreativeADT, Sep 24, 2018.

  1. CreativeADT

    CreativeADT New commenter

    I'm a trained Art teacher and Head of ADT, including DT and catering. I will be recruiting a new DT teacher soon and need to know what the certificates are that will enable the new person to be fully H&S compliant and save the school paying for this as soon as they arrive. Of course they will if necessary, but we'd like to ask for the certificates to be up to date.

    Any help would be wonderful.

  2. aypi

    aypi Senior commenter

    Dont be so tight, pay for the certs
  3. CreativeADT

    CreativeADT New commenter

    Thank you for the helpful and insightful advice.
  4. Ex-teacher

    Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

    I feel like I'm repeating myself (must be the 3rd time I've written this in the last month).... but here goes....

    Get yourself a copy of the B.S. below. That will tell you what is needed. DATA will also be able to help with providing training courses to get necessary certificates

    BS 4163:2014 Health and safety for design and technology in educational and similar establishments. Code of practice
  5. CreativeADT

    CreativeADT New commenter

    Thank you so much I will do that. Sorry you’ve had to do this a few times. I know it’ll make a real difference to me.

    Ex-teacher likes this.
  6. tontonjon

    tontonjon New commenter

    You don't say what area they will be working in, the age group being taught and how much you wil expect them to be doing.

    I am a RDTHSC for DATA and this is what I advise.

    Assuming D&T resistant materials, it would be helpful for them to have the Core and the Secondary Materials, which covers most things they will need to do. Then provide any extension courses to cover machines you want them to use. DATA courses are based on BS4163:2014, so getting a copy will tell you what is covered but will not necessarily help you understand what is required.

    Get in touch with a DATA RDTHSC near you to get a quote for training, and look at the DATA site to see if any courses are being offered near you. The best value is to get someone to train you all in school; a whole department course is great because everyone then works together on H&S. If only one person needs training, it's cheaper to book a course elsewhere.
  7. henryrolls

    henryrolls New commenter

    DATA Accreditation for each practice you expect them to oversee. They are coded, like S9HS for Portable Power Tools. They should have had their initial training in all the main practices when they did their PGCE, these certificates are valid for 5 years and then they require refresher training to extend their 5 years. It's probably fair to see their initial training certificates but I think it's expected for the employer to pay for their renewal, I have had mine paid for even when on long term supply.

Share This Page